+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default DD getting random high temps

Anyone else had this with their bubs? DD just turned 1 and seems to have a couple of teeth coming through but is otherwise well and happy, eating well etc. For a few days now she has gotten a random high temp for no apparent reason. Day care just called and her temp was 39.2! They just gave her panadol so hopefully it goes down. She is apparently happy and her normal self.

Can this happen just from teething? It's just weird that it's getting pretty high but she doesn't seem bothered.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My sister used to get/do this!

Your bub is the first other child I've ever heard of that has random high temps.

But if she is teething then maybe it's not as random as in thinking.. Has she always developed random high temps (since birth) or is this a new thing recently?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

She's always been a kind of warm baby I guess, but these temps are relatively new. It's hard to say though because she has been sick quite a few times this winter, including when she got her first two teeth (the only ones she has so far) so I can't really isolate it to teething IYKWIM.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD1 is like that. We could usually link it to teething in hindsight but at the time they appeared from nowhere.

She heats up REALLY quick too so if I see her laying on the couch with flushed cheeks I know her temp has jumped.

She gets a fever at the onset of every cold she catches (which is heaps at the moment as its her first year of Kindy) and she'll always get a fever a couple of days into an ear infection.

I can read her like a book

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i dont think a temp that high would be due to teething - some paediatricians don't even think temps are linked with teething at all, but others do, so who knows.

Personally my 2 yr old had this happen last week or so, it went to 40 and stayed there for a couple of days on and off - no other symptoms, no cough, no runny nose, nothing. The doc said that it was probably some sort of bacterial infection and gave her antibiotics, after that it went away and she has been fine since. Apparantly it can be an infection of some sort, sometimes urinary tract or ear infections.

awz

Thanks
    Reviews

DD used to around that age. She'd get a temp with no other symptoms and be just as perky as usual.

I'm sure daycare used to think I was lying when I would tell them after the 24hr exclusion period that she had been fine the entire time.

Thanks
    Reviews

I used to get random temps all through my childhood, finally found out it was from tonsillitis. No other symptoms, not even a sore throat!

Thanks
    Reviews

The plot thickens - DD just woke up crying from her nap and I took her temp because she looked sweaty. Her temp was low, 35.3C. It was 37.6 before her nap. She's still eating and drinking fine and was happy before her sleep. She is a bit more tired than usual. It's so weird! Is it overkill to take her to the Dr?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she's had temps for a few days and you don't know why, it isn't overkill to go to the Doctor. Don't worry about the temp of 35.3 if you take your own temp throughout the day you'll probably find it around that level at times. I hope she stops having temps soon, I don't think it's anything to do with her teeth though.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would take her to the doc just to check her ears in case of infection. If not her ears then it could be her body fighting off a virus so sometimes this can mean no symptoms just tired and temps.