+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default BLW and dropping milk feeds

Just wondering which milk feeds your baby dropped first? Which were the last milk feeds to go and when?

Ds is 7 months, super coordinated with his solids. He eats lots. He's still breastfeeding frequently but has already started shortening/reducing frequency of day feeds. Is this okay?

I know it's baby-led but I just don't want him to be missing calories he needs and I'd also prefer if he didn't put himself in a position where he needs to make up for it overnight We already feeds lots overnight. Plus we've battled supply issues many times because of poor milk transfer (his latch) and I hate that scenario! Really don't want to end up back there!

Would you mind detailing the pattern of how your baby dropped (is dropping) milk feeds, especially if your baby, like mine, has taken particularly well to solids?

Thanks to anyone who can share.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: BLW and dropping milk feeds

That's really sad! I'd be gutted! Your poor friend. I'm wondering about less quantity too. But if we don't give him "enough" solids, he really lets us know,

It's only this week and perhaps some of last that I've noticed the trend towards shorter milk feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    My only advice is not to offer too much food- even if they are thriving on it. I was talking to a lady recently who thinks this is the reason her bub weaned entirely by 10-11 months, she was so gutted and was wanting to relactate (sadly it was unsuccessful as he just refused the breast altogether )
    missie, I should have added to last post that this is good advice (which I mean to keep in mind). I just hope lo doesn't crack the major sads if I have to reduce solids! Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews

For us it was a combination of DD getting more interested/coordinated with her food and a change in her sleep patterns that lead to dropping a feed.
    Her morning sleep got later so her morning feed got later. Her afternoon sleep was therefore later and by the time she woke up it was not far away from dinner and she wasn't looking for feed anyway. So that's how the afternoon feed got dropped.
    Having said all that she was 10 months old before she was really interested in food so it might be different for you!

Sent from my LT26i using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to curlyhead21 For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (31-08-2012)

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is 12 months, and dropped her midday breastfeed a month or so ago. It just turned out that she was sleeping all morning and waking up when it was time for solid lunch and then we'd be rushing out the door to get to school after that. So I started offering her a sippy cup of cows milk with lunch. We still breastfeed first thing in the morning and last thing at night (and occasionally 12 or 3am if she wakes and won't resettle easily).

I'm not trying to wean, it just kind of evolved to that point. But even now, the feeds that we do have, are really kind of fast and furious, she rarely settles in for the long haul. But I know she is still getting lots of the good stuff. I'm not ready for her to wean, so I'm not planning on changing anything about the am/pm feeds just yet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to drewid For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks curlyhead and drewid. I was feeling a bit alone in baby led weaning world for a while there.

I'm not certain but I think the changes in his milk feeds were a byproduct of teething; I hadn't cottoned on to this at the time of original post.

Now he's fighting through his first cold (still cutting bottom 2 teeth), so things are all over the shop! Who knows what's going on!?

Thanks again