+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    Not to be rude but it is more like a car for what he needs not for what the family needs. No airbags (altho I think it is an option) , no car seat restraint bolts as far as I know so you have to pay extra to get them fitted if the kids want to go in the car and it is crappy for long distance trips as it is so noisy and not the most comfortable ride. But I am only basing my feelings on what I like when I go 4wding and long distances and what I would look for in a 4wd for the family as we all go together when we go away.
    You have no idea what my family needs are we have had the car seat anchor points installed for free and it's a new model so very comfortable. You speak like you have owned a defender, what year was it?

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default So underexcited (a mini vent)

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Erm, my car is grey and has central locking, it's amazing.
    If it was red, it would go faster.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (21-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    this is me! What colour is it?? How much room is there? Will my pram fit in the back along with the shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Erm, my car is grey and has central locking, it's amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Formula One cars use semi-auto gearboxes, and every driver would use a full auto gearbox if the rules allowed.

I know heaps of off road drivers that prefer manuals, but the idea that autos are any less capable off road is just absolutely false. They provide for no loss o momentum on changes, they are better for getting over obstacles without tearing up the tracks, and the torque converter acts to further lower the gearing. As long as they have breather extensions (which is one of the first things any water or mud bound 4WD owner will do, at the same time they will install extended diff breathers) they can do just as deep as a manual. I've owned both, and I've gone into pretty extreme terrain in both. As for reliability, you'll break clutches before you break an auto box.

Pretty much every expert around - even the anti-tech old timers who personally prefer manuals - concedes that autos perform better offroad.

Of course, if I was getting a Defender for myself I'd probably get a manual because they are cheaper and I'm confident enough in my abilities to keep up with an auto. But if my wife couldn't drive a manual, I'd get an auto and not even feel a twinge of regret. I'd never put that much of our money into something that one of us couldn't use.

Besides, plenty of army offroad vehicles use autos.
    Totally agree, if you don't know how to drive a manual 4WD properly while 4WDing it's probably best to get an auto Personally I don't like driving when we go 4WDing I don't trust myself and I don't find it fun when I am driving I prefer to sit back and enjoy the ride.

eta thus why I don't see the point in getting an auto 4WD when I wont even drive it 4WDing..
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 21-08-2012 at 18:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never had one but used to ride in my bosses defender and it used to make me car sick but so does my folks navara as that is bumpy too. Honestly would you buy a defender if you had the choice of any 4wd?

Thanks
    Reviews

Haha, therm, this is hilarious, only because I am having a pity party about the same thing! Xpt I can drive a manual, I just don't wanna!! And we've looked at soooo many 4wds that they are all blending into 1... But I am choosing the colour!

First world problem vent away!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If hubby could not drive manual I would still get it I prefer manual and would be annoyed if I had to have auto. It is different and only if you love manual can you understand how annoying auto is(my work car is auto) I hate it but have to dive it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fairyflossfairy For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (22-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

When we were looking for a new car DH had this loooong list of specifications down to what colours he didn't want (Most of them!)

The only things we could find that fitted his criteria, and our price range were all manual...

So I told him he either had to be less fussy or learn to drive a manual.

Fortunately he learned pretty quickly (and our clutch is still intact) I wouldn't have said that if he had been through two clutches though. You stick with autos!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (22-08-2012)