+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With a snorkel any car can go into water to a degree but auto wouldn't have the problem of having a delay when changing gears when crossing water so less of a chance of stalling. As for wiring i don't see what difference in the amount of wiring would be, comparing brands sure there is more exposed wiring like on the sanyongs have way too much exposed on the undercarriage which causes issues when 4wding. Good luck with the car ,2 of our neighbors have had nothing but trouble with all of their land rovers and it has cost them heap in repairs and towing costs and they were new cars! And that is the defender and the discovery and yep they still keep buying them even with all the problems

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default So underexcited (a mini vent)

Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    With a snorkel any car can go into water to a degree but auto wouldn't have the problem of having a delay when changing gears when crossing water so less of a chance of stalling. As for wiring i don't see what difference in the amount of wiring would be, comparing brands sure there is more exposed wiring like on the sanyongs have way too much exposed on the undercarriage which causes issues when 4wding. Good luck with the car ,2 of our neighbors have had nothing but trouble with all of their land rovers and it has cost them heap in repairs and towing costs and they were new cars! And that is the defender and the discovery and yep they still keep buying them even with all the problems
    Hubby is qualified and has experience in training advanced 4WD, vehicle recovery and use to work for the army as a driver. I trust his ability to choose the correct car for what we need it for . We have never had any issues with the discovery (apart from me breaking the clutch) and he has owned 2 defenders before with no issues. Everyone has their own experiences and knowledge I'm not questioning his mearly whining because I can't drive it, not that I'm sure I'd want too given how big and clumbersome it is, I'd much prefer an automatic van for me to use when he is away.

Thanks
    Reviews

That's easy fixed then, he just needs to buy you a new BMW! Auto of course

4. The Following User Says Thank You to austmum For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (21-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Slightly off topic...are you part of the 4wd club down here thermolicious?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Lol Austmum! I'd loove a merc benz vito haha I'd settle for a Kia though!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachside Mumma View Post
    Slightly off topic...are you part of the 4wd club down here thermolicious?
    Nah, I don't think hubby is interested in a club I think he thinks they hold him back lol plus he is pretty unsociable!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Lol Austmum! I'd loove a merc benz vito haha I'd settle for a Kia though!

Nah, I don't think hubby is interested in a club I think he thinks they hold him back lol plus he is pretty unsociable!
    All good, was just curious as we're thinking of joining just to try and get out and meet some people!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not to be rude but it is more like a car for what he needs not for what the family needs. No airbags (altho I think it is an option) , no car seat restraint bolts as far as I know so you have to pay extra to get them fitted if the kids want to go in the car and it is crappy for long distance trips as it is so noisy and not the most comfortable ride. But I am only basing my feelings on what I like when I go 4wding and long distances and what I would look for in a 4wd for the family as we all go together when we go away.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    From the ppl i know who go 4wd half the fun is the gear chaning/controlling/picking the right speed, traction etc etc.

I guess kinda like you wouldn't tell a formula one drive to drive an auto - they control every aspect of the car including the gears?

I have never driven myself only been in teh car with them, but they seem to put alot of thought into which gear/configuration they will use and then after the bit they 4wd they assess their decison and pick something to alter and hten do it again.
    Formula One cars use semi-auto gearboxes, and every driver would use a full auto gearbox if the rules allowed.

I know heaps of off road drivers that prefer manuals, but the idea that autos are any less capable off road is just absolutely false. They provide for no loss o momentum on changes, they are better for getting over obstacles without tearing up the tracks, and the torque converter acts to further lower the gearing. As long as they have breather extensions (which is one of the first things any water or mud bound 4WD owner will do, at the same time they will install extended diff breathers) they can do just as deep as a manual. I've owned both, and I've gone into pretty extreme terrain in both. As for reliability, you'll break clutches before you break an auto box.

Pretty much every expert around - even the anti-tech old timers who personally prefer manuals - concedes that autos perform better offroad.

Of course, if I was getting a Defender for myself I'd probably get a manual because they are cheaper and I'm confident enough in my abilities to keep up with an auto. But if my wife couldn't drive a manual, I'd get an auto and not even feel a twinge of regret. I'd never put that much of our money into something that one of us couldn't use.

Besides, plenty of army offroad vehicles use autos.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (21-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Formula One cars use semi-auto gearboxes, and every driver would use a full auto gearbox if the rules allowed.

I know heaps of off road drivers that prefer manuals, but the idea that autos are any less capable off road is just absolutely false. They provide for no loss o momentum on changes, they are better for getting over obstacles without tearing up the tracks, and the torque converter acts to further lower the gearing. As long as they have breather extensions (which is one of the first things any water or mud bound 4WD owner will do, at the same time they will install extended diff breathers) they can do just as deep as a manual. I've owned both, and I've gone into pretty extreme terrain in both. As for reliability, you'll break clutches before you break an auto box.

Pretty much every expert around - even the anti-tech old timers who personally prefer manuals - concedes that autos perform better offroad.

Of course, if I was getting a Defender for myself I'd probably get a manual because they are cheaper and I'm confident enough in my abilities to keep up with an auto. But if my wife couldn't drive a manual, I'd get an auto and not even feel a twinge of regret. I'd never put that much of our money into something that one of us couldn't use.

Besides, plenty of army offroad vehicles use autos.
    Erm, my car is grey and has central locking, it's amazing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (21-08-2012)

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Erm, my car is grey and has central locking, it's amazing.
    My mum and stepdad run a bodyworks. When people ring up to ask if the xx is ready, Mum's first question is "what colour is it?"