+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is a tough one and I see your dilemma.

Personally, if I saw a 6yo boy walking down the street in a dress I'd want to high five him an his parents for being brave enough to be himself in a world where people are quick to judge and bully.

But, I totally see where you're coming from in regards to bullying. As PP in this thread have proven, some people are still narrow minded and don't see that boys can wear dresses and love pink/purple and think these things are just reserved for girls. It's such a shame that we can't just allow our kids to be themselves for fear of them getting hurt

You're a great mum for worrying that he might get hurt

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (21-08-2012),lambjam  (21-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by roz2288 View Post
    i would say im a stereotype i accept people for who they are and if thats what they like then go for it but i wouldn't set my sons up at age 6 to be bullied for wearing pink and my son is 6 now and i know if it were he wearing pink he would get bullied
    My bold... how sad that at the tender age of 6, children get bullied for what they wear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would say im a stereotype i accept people for who they are and if thats what they like then go for it but i wouldn't set my sons up at age 6 to be bullied for wearing pink and my son is 6 now and i know if it were he wearing pink he would get bullied

The thing is, by having these beliefs, you're helping fuel the fire and the bullying won't stop. I don't understand how a boy wearing pink can be such an issue?!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-08-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (21-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    And you know what it is such a AUSTRALIAN issue. In Europe men and children wear pink all the time, nobody bats an eyelid. Infact I often wonder if it is a class issue- because it is mostly in cheaper shops you see the limited colours. When you shop at more expensive places there seems to be much less of an issue and more colour choices.

That's a good point actually. In DJ's, Country Road etc you see lots of pink/purple/pastel colours in the boys section.

One of my friends boys is 3 and lives in dresses/heels with my DD. We don't think anything of it but her ex-DH is really cruel about it. Tells her she'll "turn him gay" (definitely his words, not mine!) and how she's setting him up to be beaten up at school. I think that's such a horrible thing to teach your child, that by being differet, you're asking to be picked on. By doing so, I see it as a way of encouraging a child to pick on other kids who are different in any way.

I dunno, it's a tough one, I just hate the idea of kids being picked on for being themselves

Thanks
    Reviews
    it would take a lot for me to get over if my son or sons came to me and said they wanna wear pink but id have to deal with it.

as for the poster if you son wants to wear it and your happy for him to and your not worried what people will say or the looks you'll get if you go out in public then do it.

id just be worried he would get extremely bullied for it i know of close friends that have been bullied for wearing pink shirts when they were in fashion a few yrs back

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hrm, tricky spot Lamb. No one wants to see their child get teased, but no one wants to see them stifled by other people's unbending sense of what's right and wrong when it comes to something so completely meaningless as "Girls wear pink, boys wear blue".

Have you looked in the girls section of Kmart, Target and BigW? Surely at such a young age they aren't built for hips yet and you should be able to find some pink or purple jeans or something similar.
    Then sit down with a teen fashion mag with him and show him the pictures of young guys like Justin Be *choke* Be... *coughchoke*. Nope, can't even say it. Anyway, he's teenaged or some such but the kind of things he wears at the moment are apparently what all the boys want to wear.

So some purple jeans with a black slouchy tshirt, white hightops and one of those godawful truckers caps might be my idea of hell, but I'm an old lady and what do I know about fashion?

As for wearing dresses out... That's a tough one. I know I wouldn't judge, but I'm a grown adult with a fairly accepting mind. You never know how people are going to react and I think that unfortunately you might just have to deal with it as it happens.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (21-08-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So when you have a baby boy do you take him home in a pink suit ?
    we have a unisex going home outfit (green) but if bellyfruit is a boy he will still use DDs pink sheets/sleeping bags/grow suits/booties/hats (all gifts) as no way am I buying more baby stuff!
    and if he wants to wear a dress, i wouldnt have an issue with that, as long as he was neat, tidy and warm/cool enough as well

Thanks
    Reviews

Default If your son loved wearing dresses...

Maybe have a read of some of the post on this blog?

http://www.woogsworld.com/2012/06/union-jack.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default If your son loved wearing dresses...

Boys are tough...girls are soft and pink...what utter nonsense.

OP- I want to say that your son should go out into the world dressed however he likes, but certain posts in the thread prove the world is not ready to think logically or sensibly....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

meljemillie  (21-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly don't know how I would deal with it. It's tough isn't it. It's a wonderful thing that you are so proud of your son and accept who he is. My eldest son had a prep classmate who was very clearly "not going to grow out of it" and I know that, even then, it was hard for this little boy as he was very different and the other children appeared to know he was different. He didn't stay with the school, so I'm not sure how things are for him now (he would be 12) but his teacher was wondeful and during show and tell would enthusiastically encourage his tak about his doll or fairy dress or whatever it may have been. So, I suppose the key is that young kids see that their parents and other adults are accepting and loving of a person despite their differences.