+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default If your son loved wearing dresses...

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Target?

lambjam it is quite a predicament.
    They had some maroony colored ones there but they werent true skinny jeans, they were a bit daggy. He has a really nice pair of blue billabong ones that fit so nicely but they didn't have other colours. Alot of the slightly older boys are buying the women's jayjays ones but they are still a touch too big for ds. Thanks

We only have country target!! Bit limited!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Perhaps it's not that I've failed to accept him... because I have, I wouldn't change a single thing about him. Rather I'm just conscious that our society has a long way to go, and I'd rather not see my children in the role of pioneers.
    You have not failed to accept him - the opposite, in accepting him you also see your role as protecting him. It's unfortunate that you should have to protect your child in this instance but it is also completely natural. He sounds very lucky to have such loving parents who want the best for him in every sense.

I have worked with a couple of kids who, in grade prep it was very obvious they were not going to 'grow out of it'. My advice would be to speak to a child psychologist about this and work on the best/most sensitive way for your family to work with this.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (22-08-2012),faroutbrusselsprout  (21-08-2012),lambjam  (21-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    You have not failed to accept him - the opposite, in accepting him you also see your role as protecting him. It's unfortunate that you should have to protect your child in this instance but it is also completely natural. He sounds very lucky to have such loving parents who want the best for him in every sense.

I have worked with a couple of kids who, in grade prep it was very obvious they were not going to 'grow out of it'. My advice would be to speak to a child psychologist about this and work on the best/most sensitive way for your family to work with this.

Actually yes, that's great advice. I'd seek some professional advice. Society is such a bluddy awful place these days and think the more help we seek navigating our kids through the better.
    (hugs)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I don't have kids yet but if I had a son I would let him wear dresses out in public. If he was that young, usually when he would be out with a parent or family member and they would be able to observe or be told of any bullying.
    And if it was family that were saying negative things....well they wouldn't be seeing my son grow up anymore. I wouldn't want to dampen my child being able to express himself how he wants to, not for anyone
    And I reckon if my kids were gonna get bullied/teased, it would be for having 2 mums

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: If your son loved wearing dresses...

I would let him provided he was.old enough to understand other kids may be mean about it

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FemmeFatale View Post
    Since when did colours have genders?
    So when you have a baby boy do you take him home in a pink suit ?

Thanks
    Reviews

And re the cr@p about only boys being able to wear green and blue, my god daughter looks absolutely amazing both of these colours as she has the biggest, bluest eyes ever!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (21-08-2012)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Isn't it our job as parents to challenge outdated ideas that are to the detriment of our children? Sometimes as parents we have to be the pioneer and take one on the chin for our kids. When we say 'pink is for girls' it could be taken that boys who love pink are less than for it. Just because one was brought up this way doesn't make it right. These outdated stereotypes are one of the reasons we have one of the highest rates of male suicide in the world.
    Good post.

Another example: parents fighting the stereotype that females can't vote... Females never used to be able to vote... so does that mean it should have stayed that way, because 'it's the way they were brought up'?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was brought up with smoking in the house and smacking! Things change. Especially things that affect our children adversely.

Quote Originally Posted by roz2288 View Post
    That's just the way I've been brought up no one makes the rules but I my self wouldn't let my boys wear pink and my little girl pretty much only wears pinks and purples

Each parent to there own choices

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (21-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: If your son loved wearing dresses...

Maybe you could encourage him in guys fashion. Personally I don't know anything about fashion (your son probably knows more than me) but I have male friends who dress awesomely.. and spend an absolute fortune on skinny jeans, dressy shirts and shoes..
    My brother is an extremely attractive, fashion obsessed hair dressing apprentice. He isn't gay as far as I know either. When he was a little people used to comment about what a pretty little girl he was . Tbh my parents are incredibly open minded and my dad has long hair and loves fashion too.. so its not like there are NO men who are into clothing and all.. I guess its different because your son actually likes dresses.
    Sorry to ramble.. but yeah do you think he would enjoy going to some men's clothes shops, getting his hair done and maybe getting some jewellery?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (21-08-2012)