+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice on returning to full time work with a 4 month old

Hello,

I am about to return to full time work in a few weeks. My son is 4 months old this week and he will be placed in cc.

I am looking at doing ebm for cc and bf at night. Is there any one else who has done this at such a young age and does any one have any tips on to ensure I don't lose my supply and how you managed to express so much while working?

Its really starting to stress me out thinking about it and I have a medela swing ATM and I can't afford to get a double pump. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LillyJB For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What kind of hours will you be working?
    It will def be a challenge but I think it would be possible. I returned to work when dd was a few months older and not as reliant on so many feeds. She was eating solids etc. Can you take a break at work to visit bub, or to express? I think that would help with supply. You probably already do have a pretty good supply by now so as long as you continue the breastfeeding before and after work, you should maintain enough milk for those feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Advice on returning to full time work with a 4 month old

Hello

I have recently started at uni full time (3 full days a week) and had similar concerns to you. My boy is 4 months old now, and we haven't had any issues.

I make sure I have a good stock of lactation cookies (PM me if you'd like a recipe) and have a few each day. My supply really takes a hit if I forget! I also have to make sure I express regularly (even if it's just a quick 2min pump between classes).

I don't have a double pump either and though it is slower, I still manage fine with a single electric.

Best advice I can pass on - Try not to stress out about it, that will make things so much harder and can actually drop your supply. Try to stock up your freezer as much as possible now because it may take a while to be able to keep up. But remember, you're expressing to feed baby not the freezer, so don't get too stressed if your freezer stock starts to dwindle.

Feel free to PM me if you want to. It's hard but so worth it for you and bub. DS has never needed a formula top up

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Advice on returning to full time work with a 4 month old

Oh and make sure you look after yourself and get plenty of rest. It is hard to get up through the night (if your bub doesn't sleep through yet) when you're working as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Look up "converting a medela swing"
    It's what I'm doing with mine, and it's VERY simple. All you need is a medela lactaset and a little T-connector (you can get these from aquarium shops).
    You need to cut one of the tubes, but the ones that come with the lactasets are really long anyway, and you can easily just put it back how it was if you prefer. Cheap option for a very good double pump