+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cooking classes from home. Insurance???

Hi. I had baby #2 two weeks ago. I don't want to go back to my 'real' job in January. I have a cooking blog/website (Japanese food) and have had some people interested in classes. I was thinking about starting out small - maybe 5 people in a class once a week at my place. I haven't thought about registering a business or anything yet - just some private cash work at first, I guess. However, I think it would be smart to have some kind of insurance in case someone burns/cuts themselves, chokes etc. Does anyone know what I should be looking into? I'm completely new to setting up any kind of venture..... Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cooking classes from home. Insurance???

You definitely need insurance. Sorry I can't recommend anyone, but just wanted to add that you will need a food handling certificate and may also need to get your kitchen assessed. Contact your local health department and they should be able to give you the information or point you in the right direction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. We won't be using my kitchen. We will use individual mini gas cylinder stoves. I was thinking about renting out a place like a CWA hall or church hall. Hmmm. I'll contact the health dept. and ask. Thanks.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing, I run a food business will come back and post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you will find that the cost of insurance may outweigh any money you may make. For insurance you could try - freeman mcmurrick or AON.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry I have been flat out at work - but yeh bascially you would need to get a food handlers /food license from your local council (easy enough to get but I think mine costs around $500 pa?)

Then you need to have somewhere to prepare the food/hold the lessons - you can get yoru play certified (as part of the above license which is what I have) or you can use a location that is already certified - like a community centre type thing (you would just need to make sure you are covered by council to operate a business under the arragnement - lots of the community centres/CWA have restricted license that make allowances for not for profit activities but won't cover profit business IYKWIM)

LAstly you would need public liability (thats the insurance that you would need to cover you if someone hurts themselves or gets food poisoning etc). Again it may be possible to operate under someone else license if you leasing premises but im not 100% sure. My Pl costs me abotu $500 a yr as well.

I think for $1000-$1500 it could be worthwhile; sometimes I feel like im taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back but for the most part I enjoy it and I do notice a the end I am making some extra money.

My plan like yours is to not return to my normal job once bub arrives.

Good luck, if you have any specific question let me know - but my first point of contact woudl be for you to contact your local council.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I'm starting to think the associated costs will be prohibitive. Buttoneska, I'd love to know more about your business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a spice business - grow, roast and blend spice combinations for cooking. Have about 30spices in my range. ATM - I have a license to prepare them all at home and can sell them online, through retailers and at market stalls.

I have been doign markets for about a yr and about to launch the retail side of things along with my website.

Once it is up and a bit more stable I would look at expanding my food license to cover some premade meals using the spices, sides etc. But right now my license is for low risk and I dont have certification for producing higher risk foods/meals and would need to spend money to get my kitchen up to code so it is on hold for now.

this is my test site (its not live yet but will give you an idea) http://carasfinefoods.peacoweb.com/
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 21-08-2012 at 12:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much. That gives me a starting point to look into. I'll also check out your web link later when kids are asleep. I wonder if my place (rental) would pass certification. The place uses gas so open flame, but we would be using portable gas stoves which I can imagine might be a roadblock......

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont have my docs here, they on my laptop but some general things for compliance that I have noticed over the yrs (im a chef by trade)

-double sink
    -seperate handwashing sink/bathroom
    -tiles/wall covering 1.8mtres high
    -non permiable work surfaces
    -tiles/appropraite floor covering

then you also need to do additional paperwork for higher risk foods. Do you know anythign about HACCP? Its the food safety program AU wide that all food businesses need to follow.

What state are you in? In VIC we have foodsmart which helps you wiht all your HACCP documents - http://www.foodsmart.vic.gov.au/FoodSmartWeb/