+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    Geez I think it's way over the top to get your dog put down or take them to the pound just because they killed some chooks or other animal. Yes if they have ever shown aggression to a human, that's a different story, but dogs have natural instincts to chase and kill wildlife, they can't help it. If I left my two dogs alone with chooks flapping around I can guarantee they would kill them or at least hurt them, not from aggression but excitement. They are beautiful natured dogs towards other dogs and humans, they just have a high drive to chase birds and other small animals. Therefore I don't let them anywhere near farm animals. Poor dogs to be put down or locked in a shed just because they acted on their natural instincts.
    When i wrote this post i was very upset and forgive me if i am wrong but i never said i would have them put down or keep them locked in a shed. We are at my parents farm every weekend and they have a large collection of poultry, some award winning, high expensive animals. I was worried that as other posters had said, they would develop the "taste for blood". After doing my own research i realised this is a huge myth and tbh it was completely my fault what happened, happened. I now have three new baby chicks and my dogs have been completely fine with them since. There is no reason to be so judgmental on a post clearly written when very upset and panicked. My 'poor dogs' are two very well cared for, very spoiled pooches.

FITB thanks hun. I completely take blame for what happened and have now made sure my new feathered friends are completely safe in their new home.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default My dogs ate my chooks :(

I was referring to the posts from others about putting their dogs down rather than your original post. I'm glad things have worked out ok for you and your pups. Sorry if I came across harsh, my hubby and I are crazy dog people lol I can get a bit too judgmental when it comes to discussions over pets. Hope your new chicks and pups get along well xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Aww I'm so sorry :-(

I'm glad to hear the dogs have settled down and haven't hurt the babies!

My dog kept going for our chooks necks so we have fenced off our backyard (our chooks are completely free range) so she can't get to them. Is it possible to do something like this? We just used pool fencing so it's pretty affordable and doesn't look bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When i first got my dog he broke into our chook pen and killed 3 of our birds. Needless to say he got a very, very stern 'talking to' (and was locked outside by himself for a whole hour or so). Since then he has not looked twice at any of our chickens. That was a few years ago and now I'm very comfortable letting him wander around amongst the chooks while they free range in the back yard - he doesn't go anywhere near them. I'm sure your dog will have picked up on your distress and displeasure and has hopefully learned his lesson for life.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh big hugs, what an awful thing to come home to.
    I am afraid of this happening so our chooks are in a very secure shed when we aren't home and the dogs are inside when the chooks are out.
    I hope all goes well with your dogs and new chooks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing! I know exactly how you feel! I hate it when we lose a chook (however it happens).

Our pup accidentally killed one of our chooks and I was horrified and it took me quite a while to let him back into the pack so to speak. He is honestly the sweetest natured, gentle thing, and at the time he was still a pup, we had made a big effort to get him familiar with the chooks as he grew (they were there first). Normally they are separated by a decent fence, but sometimes we let the ladies out to forage around (we're on a small holding so plenty of new pickings/scratching to be had!).

He just thought everyone and everything was another puppy waiting to play with him, so he started playing with chookie. At 35kg, he was a little too big and too rough in his playing style and chookie was injured badly enough that DH had to put her out of her misery. DH found him as soon as it happened, he was looking at it with that confused head on its side look and patting it with his front paw as if to say "hey why wont you get up and play some more", there was no blood or broken skin or neck grabbing so we know he was just being too boisterous and had not 'gone in for the kill".

Anyway, pooch got a stern growling at and put straight into his run at 4pm, no dinner, no eye contact no nothing. Exiled from the pack until the next morning and even then got a frosty reception for a while and believe you me, he KNEW he was in trouble and was on his very best behaviour for the next few days. Ever since then he has taken to being the chook shepherd, watching them closely and scaring the magpies off for them, which is quite cute! I still don't entirely trust him with the chooks as he is a bird dog and has instincts that can sometimes overrule his training but I do have a feeling he knows to think twice about trying to wrestle them.