+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My dogs ate my chooks :(

And I can not look at them the same. I feel sick that they did what they did. It's not like they are not used to them. They have always been around them since they were puppies. And tonight I came home to one dead body and only parts of my other feathered babies. What do i do? They know they have done wrong. They are hiding up the back. But I am so upset I can't even go out the back. I want them gone. Argh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

this happened to a friend of mine. The dog knew she was in big trouble, my friend was devastated and wouldn't talk to her or let her in the house for weeks. When my friend eventually got new chooks the dog wouldn't go anywhere near them, she had well and truly learnt her lesson.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: My dogs ate my chooks :(

Oh no! What a tricky situation, poor chooks

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Honestly, be careful. Most of the time, the dogs who accidentally kill will develop the 'taste for blood' so to speak. A friend of mine lived on a farm and his dog randomly bit a sheep one day. After that he killed 2 sheep in a week.

Not trying to scare you and not trying to convince you to do anything rash, Im just saying to be careful.
    Last edited by London; 20-08-2012 at 19:43.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: My dogs ate my chooks :(

Oh I know how you feel! My dog killed my cat after he escaped out the back door I was so devastated!!!! I had to get dp to take her to the pound and see what they recommended esp as I'm due to have our first baby in a couple of months. I handed her over to the pound and they kept her for monitoring and have now put her down :'( as sad as it is I couldn't bare the thought of her hurting someone else's pet or even worse our baby or someone else... big hugs!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Do your animals share the same yard/enclosures?

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

They are in the same yard, but the chooks had their own enclosure. But the dogs knocked it down while I was at work. I'm totally devistated. I don't know what tk do Do I need to have them evaluated or anything? They has never shown a sign of aggression before. They will never be going to my parents place again. They have chooks and ducks and I would never forgive them if they hurt them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    , i was thinking maybe they roamed around together during the day but to break into their pen is a bit different isn't it, I really feel for you
    Just take your time with things and get some advice from professionals, try some different organisations not just the RSPCA i have a local one in my town who are doing great things with assessing and retraining animals/adoption/foster care. its BAWCS but hopefully there is one in your area.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You never know, it might have been something as simple as one of the chooks flinging some dirt at the dogs. They might have got excited and wanted to play, and then when the chooks legged it away in the pen the dogs got the hunting urge on.
    It happened quite a bit on farms out where I used to live. Doesn't necessarily mean that the dogs did it intentionally, it can sometimes mean that instinct just took over. It shouldn't be a problem with dogs that are taught a proper pack mentality (ie. masters are NEVER prey) but if you're worried I'd see a dog trainer and see what they suggest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every dog has the potential to do this kind of thing.

It does not make them bad, it just means they have acted on their natural instinct.

You just need to ensure if you get more chickens in the future, to have them locked up so nothing can get in.

Don't punish the dogs for being normal dogs..