+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Criteria for school choice?

We are equidistant from 3 primary schools. What criteria would you use for picking one?

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the same boat, so I'm interested to hear replies too.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    * Extra programs such as after school care, reading recovery etc that not all schools can afford to offer.

* Go to open days and transition days and meet with probably early years teachers for next year. If possible, watch them around students to see how they interact.

* The myschool website will offer you *some* information about how the school performs academically and what the SEB of families who attend are like, but take it all with a grain of salt. If the school is located in a "good" area, the SEB's will be high and most likely the school results, and vice versa.

* If you know anyone who's children have/ do attend/ed any of the schools, chat with them and try and get an honest feeling about their opinions of the school. What the school does well, where they are lacking etc.

* Find out the schools policies on things important to you eg bullying, health (healthy lunches etc), homework- it should all be included in a booklet that the school will provide, but if it isn't, ask at the office.

* Fee's- are they more than standard? What do the fees buy you? At my school they buy you everything from excursions, swimming and athletics programs, stationary etc. The only thing families have to pay extra for here is school camps. At other schools I know that fees are just a base cost, everything else is an added expense.

* But most of all, once you visit the schools you really need to sit and think about what each one can offer and what you are really looking for for your children.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (20-08-2012),SPC  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have found that by going to the open days, i get a different ''vibe'' from each one.. i have found 2 that give me the best vibe so far.. some schools i have gone to i just get a ''nothing'' or ''i don't like it - cold'' vibe. I try to imagine my dd there... some places she will winge and carry on at, some she will say she likes it and wants to stay..

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Criteria for school choice?

Like you I live half way between 2 schools. In the end I didn't pick either of them. I chose a school that provided extras like music, dancing and karate - In school hours. I had to think about what high school I thought they would be going to ie, a private catholic or the local public. In the end it was a school 10 min away that I felt would provide my kids with a good education. Our local public doesn't do music or dancing as part of the curriculum. But it's something my kids enjoy. I chose a school that believes in the creative arts as being important and had a playground for the kids to play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was years ago but we did as pp have said. Went and had a look at the schools and open days etc and got information about what each school had to offer.

When DD1 was due to start school we decided we really didn't want her going to our zoned school. Its hard to explain but it just gave off a bad vibe.

The school we did choose has a computer lab, smart boards and tons of different options for creative arts etc. It has different music groups, a few different dance groups, choir and Glee groups and Art club just to name a few. Most of them don't cost much as they are taught by teachers or parents before, after or during school so we just have costumes and bus fares for performances to pay for plus tickets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I made my choice by going and visiting each school and asking lots of questions and getting a 'vibe'. I think once you have looked around the school and spoken to school staff you quickly learn which school better fits your child. I also noted how DD reacted at the school visits - some she was more excited about then others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    An teaching style that treats the kids as individuals and bases their work on that
    A school no more than 300 so the above can happen
    Zero tolerance on bullying
    A gifted/and or remedial program
    An emphasis on celebrating multi culturalism
    An active P&C
    A public school, not private. Having been to both I dislike the elitism and competition with *some* private schools. That doesn't mean all are like that, but I have strong beliefs about public schooling

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Criteria for school choice?

Thanks. I have a tendency to over think things. I have my eye on another school entirely, but am trying to be sensible and pick a local one. They are all excellent. Too much choice.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Criteria for school choice?

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    An teaching style that treats the kids as individuals and bases their work on that
    A school no more than 300 so the above can happen
    Zero tolerance on bullying
    A gifted/and or remedial program
    An emphasis on celebrating multi culturalism
    An active P&C
    A public school, not private. Having been to both I dislike the elitism and competition with *some* private schools. That doesn't mean all are like that, but I have strong beliefs about public schooling
    All of this, plus a school with a well resourced library with a qualified teacher librarian running it.

And one that looks outward and has strong ties to the local community.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub