+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone for your advice. We went to see the paediatric ophthalmologist today who agreed that he needed glasses BUT he lowered the script so that the glasses would help train his eyes rather than just make his eyes reliant on the glasses. He also said he didn't need to wear them full time, only for TV, school or any reading/writing he does at home. There is also a chance that he may grow out of it still (fingers crossed). DS is much more at ease with it now that he knows he doesn't have to wear them for sport or birthday parties LOL!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 6yo may need glasses - he's very distressed

I'm glad you got a second opinion but TBH I'd be more concerned why a 6 year old is so distressed over his appearance!!!!

And your 'fingers crossed' he grows out if it comment comes across as you yourself view wearing glasses as something wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It does come across like you are really concerned about him wearing glasses. This could be feeding into how he is feeling about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No he's not concerned about his looks, rather he thinks they may impede his sporting craziness and running around like a crazy person at birthday parties, I think completely normal concerns for a 6yo.

I have no issues with glasses, I wear them myself at night. Surely you would hope your child could grow out of any childhood issues rather than take it as a negative comment. Geez, we have been nothing but positive and supportive about this to him.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 21-08-2012 at 20:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It was not taken as a derogatory comment. Didn't mean to offend. Defensive much. Geez.
    Last edited by babyla; 21-08-2012 at 20:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes a bit, feel like you both jumped on me TBH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Yes a bit, feel like you both jumped on me TBH.
    Apologies. Didn't mean to but just thought sometimes kids pick up on these things but as you've clarified you've been supportive. It was meant in a supportive way not a criticism.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's ok, I do understand what you are saying but we truly have no issues with glasses and have been ultra positive about it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

babyla  (21-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS aged 5 wants me to get him some. He thinks they're 'cool' (Harry Potter, Clarke Kent etc). Nothing wrong with his eyes but he has tried to drag me into spec savers! Grrr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
    I'm glad you got a second opinion but TBH I'd be more concerned why a 6 year old is so distressed over his appearance!!!!

And your 'fingers crossed' he grows out if it comment comes across as you yourself view wearing glasses as something wrong!
    Can I ask why you think it's a concern that a 6yo may or may not be worried about his appearance? I don't know any 6yo that wouldn't voice a concern about wearing glasses especially when they didn't even realise they had a problem!