+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 6yo may need glasses - he's very distressed

We found out on Friday that DS (who is 6 today) may need glasses. Well this optometrist said he definitely does but we are going to get a second opinion as it's all come out of the blue.

DS is distraught. He promises that he won't wear them, he doesn't need them and that the man is wrong and he can read and see fine bless him. He has a friend at school that wears glasses so we said he could be like him but that upset him more. The optometrist we saw had absolutely no tact in dealing with DS even though he supposedly deals with children so that didn't help at all.

Any tips on how I can help him come to terms with this? I promised him we would get a second opinion but I need something more.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 20-08-2012 at 13:54.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Naww hugs to your DS. Glasses are becoming popular now. The frames are now rather stylish. Maybe search kids and celebs with glasses and show him how common they are nowdays?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Not sure what you can do to convince him, I agree with trying to find some young celebs who wear them.
    My son got them at 6 too although he didn't have to wear them all the time. He's 19 now and still wears them, looks very cute with them on too, only trouble is he takes them off when he's sees any girls, hahaha

Thanks
    Reviews

Glasses are cool now. Harry Potter wears them. They weren't cool when I was 6 though. He will probably change his mind when he sees how much his vision improves. Let him play a big part in picking the colour and style, so he feels he has some control over it. He will concede eventually, but you will probably have to nag him a bit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Are they full time or just for classroom?

Ds1 got glasses last mnth and I was so nervous for him, but the social stigma about glasses have totally changed since we were kids! Glasses are cool now! My DS is called a "Professor" or "Scientist" or "Harry Potter" and the kids in his class think its awesome!

Let him pick the colour frames and case he wants too. That helped DS a lot. He loves them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have no experience with kids and glasses, but I definitely agree, if he needs them, then seeing how different the world is when you get them will probably be the biggest "convincer".
    If it becomes certain he will need them, maybe subtly pointing out all the people with glasses when you're at the shops to normalize it? Celebs are all well and good, but I think normal people wearing glasses will make him feel better. Kids just want to blend in...he's a bit old, but there's a Yo Gabba Gabba ep called 'differences' in which Muno gets glasses (or 'glass' being that he's a cyclops) and he gets teased, but then they all learn that glasses are cool and not to make fun and all the rest, but to be honest, I was very disappointed when he got 'contact(s)' at the end. That's not really an option for kids.

Anyway...now I'm rambling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember when I started wearing glasses full time and I realised that I could see lots of things a lot clearer and I didn't get headaches. Just make a big fuss about how great he looks in glasses. Getting a 2nd opinion may not help to be honest. It might make him think that optometrists get it wrong and he might argue that he can see for a lot longer. Hopefully though the 2nd optometrist you have chosen will talk him around though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I will try some of those strategies.

We are going to go to a paediatric opthamologist for a second opinion, as I said, this has come completely out of the blue. He has no squint, never complains of headaches or that he has any sort of vision trouble so to be told he has to be in glasses full time is a big a shock to us as to him. Before we put him in glasses full time I want to be sure of what is going on. If his eyesight as as bad as this optometrist said it was then I have no idea how he ever learnt to read, let alone as well as he does.

Maybe we are in as much denial as his parents as he is but he was fine at his 3 1/2 check up so for it to have gone to this (which supposedly is quite bad) I need to make sure what's going on. We're not bad mouthing the optometrist or anything, just explaining to him that sometimes it's good to get a second opinion even though it may same the same thing.

I have my eyes tested regularly and the test he had done was nothing like what I have done which I'm not sure if that is normal for kids v's adults.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

When we thought our DD was going to need glasses we were going to buy reading glasses for me and DH and wear them with her until she felt comfortable. But she didn't need them as her head aches were caused by something else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they're good enough for Zuma Kingston...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (21-08-2012)