+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default DD is STILL coughing.

I'd go back to gp. Get referral for respiratory dr and get script for Zithromicin. It's once fast for 5 days. My daughter had croup, then post viral cough. All night coughing. Anyway it's worth a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You can get it again, there is no absolute protection against whooping cough, even if have already had it. The vax is 85% effective and they say if you do get it it will be less severe, but you can still get it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheEmu View Post
    Thanks everyone it is a bit confusing sorry.

Referral to ENT was due to some hearing test she had done earlier in the year (2 tests spaced 3 months apart) and she has blocked drainage tubes (forgotten the name) in both ears/probably needs grommets.

But at first GPs app after first hearing test GP said she thinks DD has hayfever (she's almost always got a runny nose, dry cough & sometimes watery eyes too & this can block ear drainage tubes) so tried her on nasal spray.

Then 2nd hearing test 3 months later & Still no improvement at all.

It's taken us a bit to get back to the GPs the 2nd time round (I've been struggling with depression anxiety) for ENT referral.

DDs had a cough for 6 weeks now. Started as just an annoying dry cough she always has on & off but was getting progressively worse.

Then two weeks ago and I took her to the GP (not her GP, just local drop in clinic around corner) she was sniffly but had gunk comming out of her eyes (like last two times she had a sinus infection) & sure enough she had a sinus infection & was on AB for a week & the cough has gotten progressively worse still.

So the other night when she was up all night, after AB, I decided to take her doctors the next day (her actual GP) who said she has croup again & has given her steroids, but it doesn't sound like they are working.

She had some last night & this morning & I've also given her cough syrup an hour & a half ago and she's in bed right now still coughing away..

She hasn't been tested for whooping cough but she is vaxxed AND has had whopping cough so I highly doubt she has it again.

It sounds like her croup cough. Now I'm confused. Shes kind of gagging while trying to cough too.

I'm just wondering if we need to go back to GP for pead resp referal or if we can just got to ENT & then ask them to refer.

Shouldn't the steroids be working by now?

My sister (who's kids all have asthma) says it's an asthma cough/sounds exactly the same but DDs GP says DD has no 'wheeze' and it seems to be seasonal so can't be asthma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Did she have the flu? This influenza a that it going around causes a croup like cough. We are still coughing s few weeks later and I have friends who are still coughing 8 weeks later but ate otherwise well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Could it just be a nasty post viral cough? DD1 coughed for months last winter after a really nasty cold, i was convinced she must have whooping cough or asthma but it was just a post viral cough that took forever to shift. She has had no issues with coughing this winter or since then.
    It drove me crazy with worry but she was otherwise perfectly fine, just had a left over cough from illness.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subscribing - I'm having a similar issue with DS.

But as a side note, not all asthmatics will wheeze . Especially in the middle of an attack - there's not enough air moving through the lungs to make noise.

If you think there's something wrong, keep at em! You know your child the best!

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I guess the main thing that's worrying me it that it's getting worse. She didn't nap today and was coughing for awhile after getting up aswell.

If steroids help with asthma and the steroids arnt working then it's probably not asthma right?

I did ask the GP for ventalin but she talked me out of it since she thinks it's seasonal. But could still be bronchial asthma since the cold makes it worse.

She can only have the steroids for 3 days (one more day) so if she's still getting worse tomorrow I'll have to take her back again.. I might actually record her coughing tonight so I can show the GP what I'm talking about.

If steroids and cough syrup arnt doing anything for her, then I'm concerned, especially with the gagging.

And no she hasn't had the flu or anything (recently). Only the sinus infection 2 weeks ago but was coughing for weeks previously.

My sister gave DD some of her kids ventalin months ago, and it did help but, but the cough returned within an hour.

Thanks
    Reviews

Croup, yes is viral but if she's been coughing for weeks then it can become bacterial. A course of AB will fix that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say if she hasn't been swabbed for whooping cough, definitely get it done... my mother works in an area of health where many children aren't vaccinated properly and has had whooping cough three times in the last two years! She gets a yearly vax through her job for all sorts of things but still is at risk of getting them... needless to say she doesn't visit if feeling even slightly unwell! Vaccinations are helpful but not always 100%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Definitely get tested for wc but chances are it wouldn't show positive after having the cough for 6 weeks even if she does have it.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yeah if it is whooping cough there's nothing they can do for her now. The WC AB only work/lessen the severity of WC if given within a certin time frame (3-4 days of catching it I think) and she's well beyond that.

I've just turned her vaporizer on in her room to see if that helps. Don't know if it's reccomended for croup though (think it's more a cold/mucus thing) but it's the only other thingbi haven't tried.