+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how can i help my daughter..

Just got back from the doctor and was told that dd has croup. he told me just give her panadol and nurofen around the clock and give plenty of water and rest. Her temp is still 39.1 after nurofen half hour ago. She is still complaining of a headache. What else can i do to make her comfortable. She is 5 years old and this is the first time she has ever had croup and i dont know what else to do..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just keep up the nurofen and water. Its about all you can do. My DS has had croup twice and its horrible.
    Just give her lots of cuddles and keep her in bed!
    Youcan give pandol, i find that better in breaking a temp, but just remember, the temp is actaully a good thing, its helping the body fight the croup! Cool flannell is good on the forehead too.
    Hang in there, it generally only lasts a couple of days! You'll proably have a pretty crumby night tonight but she should be better by tomoro arvo!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

beautifulbubba  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    Just keep up the nurofen and water. Its about all you can do. My DS has had croup twice and its horrible.
    Just give her lots of cuddles and keep her in bed!
    Youcan give pandol, i find that better in breaking a temp, but just remember, the temp is actaully a good thing, its helping the body fight the croup! Cool flannell is good on the forehead too.
    Hang in there, it generally only lasts a couple of days! You'll proably have a pretty crumby night tonight but she should be better by tomoro arvo!
    thanks Jennibear

Thanks
    Reviews

Did the doctor give you steroid medication? It usually kicks in straight away

Thanks
    Reviews

No he didn't. He wants to see her again tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All my children have had croup a number of times. It's awful, for them and for parents. It's so distressing to see your child struggling for breath. Here are my tips for dealing with croup:

1. You want to keep cold air away from her so no night time play outside or trips in the car with the window down. The cold air seems to constrict the airway even more. Keep her bedroom air warm - a humidifier is great if you have one. Her temp isn't too bad yet, but if you can get it down a little for the night it'll probably help her feel a bit better.

2. Have her sleep propped up. Sitting up while sleeping will make her breathing easier.

3. Explain to her what might happen during the night. Children have instant panic attacks when they wake up with the feeling that they can't breathe. If she knows what to expect before hand and what to do she'll handle it better. Tell her that you'll be with her, that she'll feel like crying, but she really needs to try not to cry (it makes it so hard to breathe), and take long, slow breaths. Practice with her.

4. Sometimes I just give up on the sleep thing, put on a DVD and let them stay up and nod off whenever they like over the course of the night. Sitting upright with some comfy pillows and Nemo might not be the perfect solution - but whatever gets you through with the least drama!

5. It'll probably be over in only one or two nights. It will get better each day.

6. I use the steroid medicine now and it really seems to help a lot compared to when I don't use it. Croup can creep up from nowhere though and you're not always prepared with the medicine on hand. It usually only takes two doses through the day (one before bedtime), for a better night's sleep.

I hope it goes ok and your daughter is feeling better soon.