+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are Quad bikes dangerous?

One of the main risks is that they can roll over easy on uneven ground, and as they are very heavy have crushed people in the past.

Was a thing on tv the other night about it, a 12 year old was riding one and was killed.

Like anything supervision is the key but at the end of the day they are a motor vehicle as such and not a child's toy.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    anything is dangerous if given the chance, if you are going to get them a quad bike get it modified to only go a speed you can keep up, when taking them somewhere to ride check all the sand or dirt first to make sure its all even. riding gear is a MUST if you cant afford the gear do NOT get the bike. If they are realy into it look into joining a club to learn properly.

DH has a lot to do with moto x and i ahve been around it my hole life unfortunately 3 of the people i know from growing up are in wheelchairs one has quadreplegia the other to paraplegia all three knew what they was doing and was very very good at it but accidents happen, One was racing in the AMA ( he was possibly one of the BEST riders to ever come out of australia, the other was on a dirt track with jumps at his dads farm, ( he came up short on a 130ft jump something he had been doing for year with no worries) the other was racing road bikes ( on a registered track in a race ) i beleive not 100 percent sure as he went from racing moto to tarmac and not 100 percent sure where the accident was. All of these accidents happened have happened while there adults all 3 great riders my point is you can know what your doing and it can still be dangerous but in all honesty anything can be but all you can do it arm them with the best knowledge possible and protect them with the right gear. Oh and all them accidents was on 2 wheelers BUT lots of kids start on quads and go to a two wheeler, What ever you do NOT get a 3 wheeler ever they are the worst

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This tragic incident happened just last month:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/girl-kille...711-21vik.html

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Are Quad bikes dangerous?

DS was 2 and a half when he foot his first quad, we has a governor (sp?) onnit and dh had a lunge rope tied to the back so he couldn't take off. Now he's 4 and has been through 2 quads and a old '92 peewee and we just brought him a brand new peewee for when he starts bike club

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I read about this recently, they can be very dangerous and are not suitable for kids under 16:

http://www.farmsafe.org.au/index.php...vehicle-safety

Quadbike and Vehicle Safety

Four wheeled motorbikes (quadbikes) are a leading cause of death and serious injury on Australian farms. There are on average 14 farm quadbike related fatalities on Australian farms every year. In 2011, there were 18 quad bike related fatalities on Australian farms.

While there have been significant farm safety success with the reduction of death and injury associated with tractor use on farms, a reduction in the child related injury; quadbike related death and injury continues to rise and is a major concern.

Farmsafe Australia have developed an Quadbike Safety Guide for farmers, that can help farmers reduce the risk of serious injury associated with quadbike use on farm.

When farmers are considering using four wheeled motorbikes for work on farms, Farmsafe encourage the following safety principles:

Is the quadbike the most appropriate vehicle to do the job? A farm ute or small Utility Vehicle (Side by Side vehicle) is better to carry passengers and heavy loads safely.
    A suitably tested crush protection device (CPD) should be fitted to the quad bike.
    When riding a quadbike, always wear a helmet.
    Always keep the quadbike well maintained and tyres correctly inflated according to manufacturers reccommendations.
    DO NOT allow riders under 16 years old to operate a quadbike.
    DO NOT carry passengers and
    DO NOT carry heavy loads or overload a quadbike. They become more unstable and may roll causing fatal crush injuries.
    More information can be found by downloading and reading the Safety of Quad Bikes and Side-by-Side Vehicles on Australian Farms below.

Video link to ABC TV 7.30 Report Quadbike Safety

Quad bikes are the majory cause of farm related death and serious injury. A summary of 2011 Farm Death and Serious Injury can be downloaded from this link.

This link to Crush Protection - raising the bar. This article was first published in the May 2012 issue of the National Safety Magazine - a magazine of the National Safety Council of Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I read about this recently, they can be very dangerous and are not suitable for kids under 16:

http://www.farmsafe.org.au/index.php...vehicle-safety

Quadbike and Vehicle Safety

Four wheeled motorbikes (quadbikes) are a leading cause of death and serious injury on Australian farms. There are on average 14 farm quadbike related fatalities on Australian farms every year. In 2011, there were 18 quad bike related fatalities on Australian farms.

While there have been significant farm safety success with the reduction of death and injury associated with tractor use on farms, a reduction in the child related injury; quadbike related death and injury continues to rise and is a major concern.

Farmsafe Australia have developed an Quadbike Safety Guide for farmers, that can help farmers reduce the risk of serious injury associated with quadbike use on farm.

When farmers are considering using four wheeled motorbikes for work on farms, Farmsafe encourage the following safety principles:

Is the quadbike the most appropriate vehicle to do the job? A farm ute or small Utility Vehicle (Side by Side vehicle) is better to carry passengers and heavy loads safely.
    A suitably tested crush protection device (CPD) should be fitted to the quad bike.
    When riding a quadbike, always wear a helmet.
    Always keep the quadbike well maintained and tyres correctly inflated according to manufacturers reccommendations.
    DO NOT allow riders under 16 years old to operate a quadbike.
    DO NOT carry passengers and
    DO NOT carry heavy loads or overload a quadbike. They become more unstable and may roll causing fatal crush injuries.
    More information can be found by downloading and reading the Safety of Quad Bikes and Side-by-Side Vehicles on Australian Farms below.

Video link to ABC TV 7.30 Report Quadbike Safety

Quad bikes are the majory cause of farm related death and serious injury. A summary of 2011 Farm Death and Serious Injury can be downloaded from this link.

This link to Crush Protection - raising the bar. This article was first published in the May 2012 issue of the National Safety Magazine - a magazine of the National Safety Council of Australia.
    I live on a dairy farm and we use quad bikes, they are not suitable for kids, They are heavy and big but that is because they are designed for adults. No one should ever put a little kid on one of those
    Children's sized ones are designed for kids, even the petrol ones, they are a lot lighter and safer, the one we have has a speed limiter on it so you can make I so it won't go over a
    Certain speed.
    As long as there is supervision, the right protective gear and the ground is flat where they are riding it can be safe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StormAngel For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by StormAngel View Post
    I live on a dairy farm and we use quad bikes, they are not suitable for kids, They are heavy and big but that is because they are designed for adults. No one should ever put a little kid on one of those
    Children's sized ones are designed for kids, even the petrol ones, they are a lot lighter and safer, the one we have has a speed limiter on it so you can make I so it won't go over a
    Certain speed.
    As long as there is supervision, the right protective gear and the ground is flat where they are riding it can be safe
    Oh for sure, things can always be done to minimise risk, I agree.
    For me personally, I still think ere is a risk there and it's not a necessary one, so I wouldn't take it. But that's JMO, each to their own.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    of course they are dangerous, but so are motorbikes, riding horses, even bicycles and skateboards.

we live on a farm and have had them for the kids since they were 2 or 3yo. At first they ride on your lap, then you follow them with the kill chord (pull it and the motor cuts out) and you govern the speed they can go. then you ride next to them on your own bike and as they get older, they ride more independantly (but always with someone).
    needless to say, you buy one with a small motor (50cc), always kit them out in safety gear and be prepared to teach them the safe way to ride.
    my son in 9yo now and we have so many quads and bikes that he is like 'meh, motorbikes.....i want a skateboard' (yet we have no concrete to ride it on!)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS got his first real quad at age 3. He also got a full set of riding gear. He was taught that he was never to get on it without wearing all his gear. The one we bought had a speed adjuster so it would only go to a set speed which we could increase or decrease. It also had a remote control with a kill switch...so we could stand back and watch DS ride around and if it looked like he was getting into trouble/going too fast/etc. we hit the remote kill switch and the bike rolled to a stop. Here he is on his bike (head removed for privacy )Quad.jpg

From there he got his first 2 wheeler when he was 5 and has just gotten his bike upgraded (125cc) for his 8th birthday.

Proper bike, gear and instructions are what make the difference. Its not a toy, its a machine and needs to be treated with respect. Quads have a tendency to roll when sharply turned, but a bit of training will fix that.
    Good luck
    Last edited by London; 20-08-2012 at 12:07.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

mumofprincess  (20-08-2012),Rbottom  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://youtu.be/zpcLD6FbBe0 Admittedly he has been around bikes his entire life, but this is my friends son on his. Education and safety gear are essential as with any sport.