+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are Quad bikes dangerous?

My Dh wants to buy a motorised quad bike for DD for christmas, i haven't said no but i haven't said yes yet. Has anyone got one for there child? I have seen the lil electric ones that you can buy but don't know much about a petrol motor one. I am worried they are dangerous what do you think? She will be 4 in March next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

They can be dangerous. It all depends on how they are used. DS is 3 and I'm sure DH will want to get one for him at some stage, but I'm with you and not sure about it.

I think 4 is too young, but you know your DD. Would she be able to handle it? Someone I know got one for their 3yo. Their kid is the same age as DS and there is no way I'd get him one now. But different kids can handle things at different ages, so it all depends on your DD and her capabilities really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You can get ones that have a cord thing attached to a kill switch so you kind of follow them around and you can pull it if you need to stop it in an emergency.

I think with a 4 year old under supervision they are no more dangerous than alot of things. I think they get more dangerous as children get older and start to be more daring if that makes sense.

They are lots of fun'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm not familiar with them personally, but a girl in my high school had a younger brother who was 12. The family lived on a farm, the brother was on the quad bike doing some choirs around the paddocks with his mother and fell off.
    He was wearing a helmet, the way he fell broke his neck and he was in a coma for months, he was brain dead and in the end they turned off his life support
    Every time I hear of quads thats all I can remember.
    He wasn't acting silly on it either, his mum was right next to him.

I'm no quad expert, but if it was my daughter I was thinking about getting a quad for at 4 years old I wouldn't do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ex's nephew was given one when he was 4. He rode it into a wall and was extremely lucky to escape serious injury.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My kids have a recharge able one. The only danger iv witnessed with it is if they start being silly or run each other over. Which only happened once. It was a accident when my dd got in the was of DS an he couldn't turn in time. She was fine. But apart from that as long as you watch them I think they are fine

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD's godfather just bought a remote controlled petrol car for her.. With my hubby's approval. She's turning 2 in september!!!

I think it depends on the size of the quad.. The battery ones tend to be much smaller and lighter, so easier for littlies to control. My friends 3yr old boy has one and he rides it like a maniac but hasn't flipped or anything (but she only lets him ride it on flat surfaces, no hills/bumps)

The petrol ones I've seen tend to be bigger and heavier, which I would not be confident about little ones riding. But there may be petrol ones that are age appropriate? It really all depends on the kind, what size, how heavy, how fast..

The only reason I didn't freak out about the car for DD is coz it's actually age appropriate, a parent (with common sense) can safely control it remotely until DD is able to/confident enough to drive it herself, it's low, stable and doesn't go (too) fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way would I get a petrol one for a 4 year old but an electric one would be fine my dd1 was riding hers before she was two but it was a button on the handle not a accelartor

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can get the little cars for kids that are rechargeable. I wouldn't get a quad bike, too many serious injuries and deaths from them. I'd wait til about 6 and get a little motorbike, or once training wheels on a bike are no longer needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

22month old DS has been riding his electric quad bike for about 6 months, it's only one of those small cheap ones from Kmart ($90 I think) it was given to him for his 1st birthday and he loves it! It really does not go very fast ( he goes faster in his crazy coupe) and we only let him ride it either inside in the family room on the tiled floor or on the back tiled patio