+ Reply to Thread
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Give me your early toilet training tips!!!

Please only reply if you have something helpful to say. If you waited to your child was 3 that's your thing.

Miss E is 13 mths. Any good reading material to recommend?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I loosely followed ther 3 day toilet training thingo. Was too stingy to buy it but read up and got the gist from forums, etc. It worked really well for us before the age of 2 (day and night.) Cold turkey on the nappies, etc.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I waited until my child was ready, not really fixed on an age. We just let the boys watch us and when they showed an interest in what was happening we offered to let them try and just went from there. DS1 still has toileting accidents (he is 5 in September) DS2 decided one day just after he turned 2 that he didn't want to wear nappies anymore so we told him he would have to wear jocks and use the toilet he hasn't had an accident since.

We practice elimination communication with DD (she was 1 in July), I am thinking this summer of leaving her nappy off and seeing how she goes.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    subscribing
    Me too. I just started trying to toilet train DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started DD at 10 months and she was full time out of nappies before she was 2. There are groups/forums etc on EC and Early Training but I broke most of their 'rules' (DD was in disposables, we would be out of the house for hours every day, I'd have to ask her to go in her nappy sometimes, etc etc). I did what worked for us, as we were travelling at the time and I'm not a very routine sort of person.

I made sure to give her lots of 'pottytunities' through the day, only ever positive encouragement. She's never been scolded for an accident or forced to sit on the potty longer than she wanted to. There are opinions that this is "parent training" not toilet training - but I could count on one hand the number of pooey nappied I changed once she started on the potty. If that's parent training - sign me up!

I consider that she 'learnt' to toilet on a potty (then toilet when big enough) not that she was 'trained'. Just as a child 'learns' to use a spoon - sometimes it will be messy, some days they won't have any interest, sometimes she food doesn't go where it's meant to... but do you give up and take the spoon away? I didn't take the potty away, I just let her learn how to use it at her pace.

Biggest bonus (other than not having to clean poopy nappies) was that by the time she hit the terrible 2s, toileting was already very natural to her so it never became an issue we butted heads over.

Follow your own instincts, you know your child and what works for you too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

jake's mum  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

We started just putting him in the potty when we knew he had to go (waking up from naps/sleep or making his poo face), when he was 8 months old.

Got a couple of EC books and followed advice. When he was 16.5 months old and walked really well I just took the nappy off and told him that from now on we use only the potty now. It was three days of pee and poo everywhere (just stayed home and was very attentive). Every time he misses I calmly said that we pee and poo only in the potty. Every time he went in the potty I showed him how excited and happy I was and told him what a big boy he was. After 3 days it was about 3 misses a day, after a week 1-2 misses a day, and from 17 months just the occasional miss when he gets a new toy and is too excited to stop playing - but even then it's just a few drops in his undies, never a full wee. I'm definitely going to do the same with DS2!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started around 16 months. My son is 3 years 3 months now and was in undies during the day-time from 2.5 years onwards. He still isn't night trained but is getting there. I read a heap of books and found that none really clicked with me. So I just got a potty and got him to sit on it at various times throughout the day and gave him heaps of nappy free time. It was extreeeeeeeeeemely slow going. Like, he wasn't in undies during the day fulltime until 2.5, so over a year worth of training. I wasn't hardcore during that time, just made it part of our routine and figured he would "get it" when he got it.

So much 2 steps forward, 1 steps back, we went on holiday and moved in that year and both of those things regressed him heaps.

Part of me thinks it might have been easier to just wait till 2.5 and do it in three days, but the other part thinks he was so rebellious at 2.5 and if he hadn't of been used to the potty for a whole year or more, he might not have wanted a bar of it.

That's a lot of rambling. I didn't find any magic bullet worked. It was just introduce early and have a lot of old towels handy. Good luck!

Probably the handiest book was "Early Start Potty Training"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

The main things I learnt were to tell them "it's time to go to the toilet" that way their is no options for child to refuse its just something that has to be done. Another thing if training in warmer weather is getting lots and lots of board shorts as they are fast drying u can do a load of them when getting home from work and they will be dry and ready to pack back into day care bag. Also those ugly croc shoes as if child has a wee accident and it goes all into the shoes the crocs are also fast drying and can be washed with warm soapy water great for day care as children need inclosed shoes. Think that's it

My dd was trained day and nite by 2yrs I started training her when she could tell my she had done wee/poo. I would tell her at nappy changes it was part of out conversation so she learnt early on what was what. My DS same thing but still can't get the night thing sometimes so I take him when I go to bed. Hope it helps :-)