+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default money saving ideas

hi everyone.

I would really appreciate money saving ideas. Or ideas on how i can make some extra money without working. Ive really started struggling lately and it seems its only getting worse. Im a single mum with two small children. I have no work experience so getting a job isnt easy.

Im about to start studying so ill be down more money.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

I use a money box I can't open every day I put all my coins in it. It adds up quite fast, another option is to open up another account and snap the key card, on the day you get paid put 20- 50 dollars in it,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daysta112 For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (22-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: money saving ideas

If you are going to be studying and use daycare, apply for JET. Only 10 cents an hour daycare which is so cheap.

That's all I can think of right now as only way I was able to save money was work.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a mini expandable file which has a section for each expense.
    So gas, power, food, insurance, private health, pay tv etc etc
    And the set amount needed to put in each week so when the bill comes, it's basically already paid.
    So if all up bills cost $350 a week, we will take that money out of our account and physically put it in the file. We are massive eftpos users and having the money there, helps us save in late fees.
    We also have a section for savings.

Also we put 10% of DFs wage into a back account that not connected to our accounts so we cannot see it when we log into our online backing. So once money goes In, we forget about it lol. My FTB payments also go into this account.

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing! I need ideas too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really tips for saving money, however it may help alleviate some boredom and the feeling of missing out on treats etc.

www.soup.com.au

Sign up to these guys... They are a product testing company, and I am forever getting projects to do. LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

I have been sent slabs of soft drink, boxes of chips, a heap of dishwashing tablets, Tony Fergusson and so much more. Currently I am testing dog worming tablets (on my dogs.. Not me!!) and they include some chocolate for me!

Write some compliment letters to companies.

I just recently wrote an email to Coles, simply saying how much I like one of their products. Lo and behold a few weeks later a $10 gift voucher appeared in the post to thank me...

If you put in an effort to the companies you like, you may just be rewarded.

Also, if you have a complaint about a product, make sure you let that company know. They appreciate feedback and will often send replacement products or vouchers to you also.

Scroll the net for Freebies!

I am known as the freebie queen!

A good place to start for freebies and bargains is

www.ozbargain.com.au

Don't buy anything without checking that site first! It will list all the coles and woolies specials, plus sooo much other stuff.

We have picked up free movie/show tickets, just buy checking this site.

I wish you luck. I know this info is not money saving, but hopefully it is sanity saving for you. Especially if all your money needs to be spent elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: money saving ideas

Quote Originally Posted by MsImpatient View Post
    Not really tips for saving money, however it may help alleviate some boredom and the feeling of missing out on treats etc.

www.soup.com.au

Sign up to these guys... They are a product testing company, and I am forever getting projects to do. LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

I have been sent slabs of soft drink, boxes of chips, a heap of dishwashing tablets, Tony Fergusson and so much more. Currently I am testing dog worming tablets (on my dogs.. Not me!!) and they include some chocolate for me!

Write some compliment letters to companies.

I just recently wrote an email to Coles, simply saying how much I like one of their products. Lo and behold a few weeks later a $10 gift voucher appeared in the post to thank me...

If you put in an effort to the companies you like, you may just be rewarded.

Also, if you have a complaint about a product, make sure you let that company know. They appreciate feedback and will often send replacement products or vouchers to you also.

Scroll the net for Freebies!

I am known as the freebie queen!

A good place to start for freebies and bargains is

www.ozbargain.com.au

Don't buy anything without checking that site first! It will list all the coles and woolies specials, plus sooo much other stuff.

We have picked up free movie/show tickets, just buy checking this site.

I wish you luck. I know this info is not money saving, but hopefully it is sanity saving for you. Especially if all your money needs to be spent elsewhere.
    Hi, just had a look at that soup website but couldn't work it out? Where does it give info about product testing? I'd love to give it a go!

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    there are loads of threads with great tips, if you have a search
    personally I keep a spreadsheet with every bill we have broken down to weekly/fortnightly/monthly and each fortnight/month i put the money across into the accounts (i have a quarterly bills bank account, and a 6monthly/annual bank account)
    anything monthly comes off the credit card, and I pay that each month (our phones and private health, plus insurances) our home phone (have to have it for internet) is 24 a month, but i always pay 30, so am ahead.
    we also make sure that we have spending money, which is cash, as if we can grab a coffee etc we are less likely to feel deprived and splurge.
    one area im trying to cut back on is food, by making a lot myself, and freezing bulk lots of meals (so we dont get takeaway) and cutting out junk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps try www.thesoup.com.au

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Falkor For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (03-09-2012),MsImpatient  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

When peak hour electricity starts (for us it's at 4:00pm) we have no power hours

We turn everything off (apart from the fridge) and turn things off stand by too.
    Dh gets home at 5:00pm and usually all power is still off, unless it's dark we put the light on in the room we are in.
    We use this time to just sit as a family and play with dd, read her books, go outside etc.
    It's actually extremely peaceful, and as of late we have just started to keep everything off apart from lights at night time once dd is in bed and Dh and I will do bits of the house work like fold washing, washing up dishes, pretty much no tv, no computer, no heater or air con, we turn the fish tank light and filter off then switch it back on in the morning.

I cook all the meals for the month and freeze them.
    It saves us a lot of time, I believe it has helped us save money because we don't seem to "Waste" food in the sense that when we buy food we cook it straight away.

We recycle water too, the water from DDs bath goes on the plants or I fill it into the washing machine when washing things like the dogs beds.
    Fill buckets of her bath water to wash the car.

When I go to the shops I take enough cash to buy just what I went there for, no extra for food or any other little things I might see and buy.
    I leave our cards at home and just take the cash.
    It has really helped us see how much money we were wasting on crap really.

A few months ago we started putting all extra money we possibly could into a money jar, coins, notes anything.
    Even if we were desperate we didn't touch it.
    We also put any extra money left over in our bank into a savings account.
    We did a budget up and stuck to it very strictly.
    We now have just under $3000 in savings, we have never had savings in our lives!

We live off one wage and Dh earns $51k a year, just under half of his pay goes on rent fortnightly.
    We do little odd jobs for family members for some cash in hand so that does help.
    We are the worst money wasters
    We have been pretty proud of ourselves these last few months.
    It's a great feeling to get bills nowadays and see just how much they are going down due to us doing little things around the house and making sacrifices that are rewarding when bills arrive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

Whitman  (20-08-2012)