+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Long term depression and anxiety limiting my life

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Hi
    I suffered from severe anxiety for several years in my early 20's. It is a very debilitating thing to go through.
    The things that got me through were making sure I was eating really well (I dropped to 42kg and became very ill), seeing a psychologist, making sure I exercise and get outside even if I didn't want to and even if it's only for 10 minutes.
    I think with children it can be harder to make time for yourself but I think in your case it needs to be a priority - I would make sure I book in half a day a week (get someone to mind your child, use occasional care whatever works for you) and do something each week for you. That way when things get tough during the week you have that to look forward to.
    First thing though is book into see a psych or counsellor, they can make a world of difference.
    Thanks for the suggestion of time out. I absolutely agree and have been very slack with that. I am going to spend a bit of time on me - first step is going to the hairdresser
    I think we all need to do that - anxiety sufferers or not. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies. I need to keep reminding myself that a happy mum means a happy kid

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Hi
    I suffered from severe anxiety for several years in my early 20's. It is a very debilitating thing to go through.
    The things that got me through were making sure I was eating really well (I dropped to 42kg and became very ill), seeing a psychologist, making sure I exercise and get outside even if I didn't want to and even if it's only for 10 minutes.
    I think with children it can be harder to make time for yourself but I think in your case it needs to be a priority - I would make sure I book in half a day a week (get someone to mind your child, use occasional care whatever works for you) and do something each week for you. That way when things get tough during the week you have that to look forward to.
    First thing though is book into see a psych or counsellor, they can make a world of difference.
    Just a question - feel free not to answer if you feel uncomfortable - but have you had any relapses of your anxiety? I have found that I have had episodes of depression on and off since my early 20s (I'm now 36) but have only had 1 episode of anxiety (but it was 10x worse than any of my depressive times). Just wondering if I could lapse back into that as it was seriously the worse thing that has happened to me

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by happy2bmum View Post
    Yes I am on an antidepressant - I was on another but have recently weaned off of it. I can't imagine life without it. It does have side effects but I have realized they are a necessary evil.
    I think it is a combination of my physical and mental stressors that have contributed to me being sick. I have a day with nothing major planned so am going to have some rest today - as much as you can with an 18mth old 
    I think I just need to accept like you that this is it for me - luckily I have a very supportive dh but even he is getting a little frustrated lately as I have been acting out of character.
    Thanks for your help.
    It took a fair few episodes and having to leave work (either that or be fired basically) for me to realise I need the meds.

It's hard for others to understand when they haven't been through it.

Good luck and pm me if you ever want to talk or vent or anything xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missybubble View Post
    It took a fair few episodes and having to leave work (either that or be fired basically) for me to realise I need the meds.

It's hard for others to understand when they haven't been through it.

Good luck and pm me if you ever want to talk or vent or anything xx
    Thank you xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

missybubble  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happy2bmum View Post
    Just a question - feel free not to answer if you feel uncomfortable - but have you had any relapses of your anxiety? I have found that I have had episodes of depression on and off since my early 20s (I'm now 36) but have only had 1 episode of anxiety (but it was 10x worse than any of my depressive times). Just wondering if I could lapse back into that as it was seriously the worse thing that has happened to me
    I have things if my life which can trigger it - but nothing which has lasted years. Last time it lasted for several years. I still definitely have moments of it but I also have skills now which mean I can control my thinking a lot better. I think it's about being really aware of it and doing something about it, if I start to feel that way, straight away. I also think that sometimes it's just part of who we are, some people have a predisposition to this, but you don't have to suffer with it! You can control it with the right management - I would definitely get a referral for a psych, when I went nearly 10 years ago now, she changed my life. I haven't been since.

Take another active step today (you've already started), go for a long walk or make an appointment with your GP or organise for someone to look after your child for an afternoon this week. You'll start to feel more control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too have been depressed for quite a while now it so hard at times I would be lost if I did not take my meds.One day at a time I take now.Its hard but do find time just for u I like to take a bath and liston to quite music.