+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What are the most essential features for a pram?

Hi everyone,

I want to start looking for a pram soon, but want to make sure there isn't some vital feature that I don't get. I will exercise with the pram (just walking) and take it shopping etc. I have a Mazda 3 hatch with a relatively roomy boot.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews

Size, easy to fold, durable wheels for walking, long term use (will u
    Need a double down the track) price, could u get what u want second hand, storage, accessories etc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyRoberts For This Useful Post:

JR03  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a Mazda 3 hatch also and found a couple of prams wouldn't fit in my boot which I thought was quite big until I measured it. So just make sure you check before buying.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    * Lightweight (you will be lifting it quite a bit, often folded which is harder to lift)
    * Easy to push with one hand (in case bubs is in arms and shopping is in pram! - it will happen more than you think!)
    * Easily adjustable recline
    * Handle that is the right height for you (some don't adjust and if you're tall or short this could be an issue - think about your partner for this too)
    * Easy to fold - if you have to take wheels off to fold then don't bother with that pram. You need to be able quickly fold the pram when bubs is screaming in the car seat and it's pouring with rain and you just want to get in the car & go home.
    * Easy to use harness - some are easier than others to undo and adjust
    * If you're going to be walking over rough surfaces and going up & down over gutters you need a pram that suits that. I have a mountain buggy with pneumatic tyres and it's super easy for that stuff, but I also have a Steelcraft stroller and it's really hard to push over gravel (eg. path next to the carpark at Kinder), and it's fiddly even to go over a gutter (eg. when crossing the road).
    * Basket size is important. You'll end up taking heaps of stuff with you when you go out and if you go shopping you'll need somewhere to stash your purchases. You don't want a tiny basket. You also don't want a basket that you can't access if the seat is reclined. There's nothing more frustrating than having a fully reclined baby seat with a sleeping baby and then realising your purse is in the basket and you can't get it (it's happened to me in the stroller we have).

Other things you might want to consider
    - the option of car capsule attaching (I personally don't think this is that important as you *might* get 5 months use from a capsule, but the pram should last you til the child is 4). The issue is that capsule & pram compatibility limits your options for both considerably, especially if you take car seat safety ratings into account.
    - a bassinet attachment - I did get a bassinet for my Mountain Buggy for bub #2 and it was fantastic as we were out & about a lot when she was little. When my ds (bub #1) was little though he didn't go in the pram til 7 weeks of age at all.
    - whether bubs can face you - I see this as a bonus feature and I wouldn't choose a pram purely based on this, although some people do. Be warned though that sometimes seats that face you might have weight limits, or the pram might not push as well, etc. So, look at the actual details.

Hope this helps

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (19-08-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    safety features (shocked so many failed the tests, but are still for sale!)
    size, easy to run with, ease to fold and weight.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

JR03  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

For me the three most important things were:
    - travel system so I could click the car seat capsule in
    - option to go forward facing or parent facing (but not a reversible one that's hard to steer)
    - not too big and bulky.

For me - the babylove focus is perfect.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

JR03  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

For me they were

- safety ie brakes and those features
    - easy to fold down and up
    - fits in the car easily
    - relatively light weight if possible
    - ample storage space underneath

13. The Following User Says Thank You to larissa88 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    along with everything mentioned for me it was vital that it had a reversible handle, and a few different positions in the seat.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose1 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: What are the most essential features for a pram?

I suppose the essential features depend on how you plan to use the pram.

If you'll be mainly taking it in the car to the shops and it's going to be in and out of the car a lot then ease of collapse, weight and size when collapsed is important factors.

Or if you mainly will be walking from a-b then bigger wheels, bigger under carriage and overall studier pram.

Do you want a pram that's forward facing or rear & forward facing.

Are you wanting a travel system? (With attachable car seat so if baby goes to sleep in the car you don't have to wake them)

Optional second seat for future babies.

Also look at the weight range, is otherwise up to 15kg or 20kgs? Some prams you'll only get 2 years (if that with bigger babies) also if it's suitable from birth (some prams don't fully recline)

Also when you do pram shop if you can borrow a friends toddler because an empty pram feels heaps different to when it's got real weight in it. Otherwise bring a heavy hand bag also think about when playing with it how do you access the under carriage - some prams under basket is totally inaccessible when the seat is reclined.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

JR03  (20-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks for all the suggestions!! I'll keep all of it in mind :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post

Also when you do pram shop if you can borrow a friends toddler because an empty pram feels heaps different to when it's got real weight in it. Otherwise bring a heavy hand bag
    I've already asked my sister if I can borrow my nephew when I go shopping (he's 4 months old) so I'll have a bit of weight in it :-)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (20-08-2012)