+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 18 month old, scared to sleep

Hi, i am new to this forum ting but i am after some advise or opinions to my situation.
    My son is 18 months old, healthy as far as i know and has never really had a sleep issue but for the last 4 nights he has been waking up at the same time (12.30pm) every night, crying his little heart out. Once i pic him up his quite calm and tends to fall asleep again within minutes, once i put him back to bed within an hour he is awake crying again, so i hve been sleeping with him on the lounge, the most concerning is the fact that its like he is to scared to go to sleep, everytime he goes to close his eyes he will quickly wake up in a fright kicking and throwing his arms around till im able to assure him everything is ok. There was even one incedent where i had my arm over my head and there was a shodow of my hand on the lounge and i musthave been moving my hand slightly and when he noticed he started to hit into the lounge where my shadow was. Im not sure if its mejut being paranoid, but this has happened a week after my 9 yr old son was waking up for a couple of nights sayng he could here foots steps in the hallway, or if maybe there might actually be something wrong. I am at a loss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It sounds like night terrors...DD had those on and off for a while, they really are frightening. But she screams for about 10 minutes and I can't settle her.
    Do you think there is something in the house? Hmmm...one of my friends had a ghost in her house, not joking, I saw it, and her 6 year old was freaked out at night over him appearing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

TamGaw  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not sure if there is, his ok sleeping in his bedroom during the day, its only at night. a week ago i was able to put him to bed and walk straight back out without a problem, but the last 4 nights i cant even put him in the cot before he starts chucking a tantrum. He is not talking yet which is hard because i cant ask him. i haven't heard of night terrors before, i will have to look it up. Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    could be night terrors...has anything bad happened to him as of late that may have scared him? Any routine disruptions?
    I have read that young children can sense 'spirits' alot more intensely than adults. Something to do with their imaginations not yet knowing whats real and whats not.
    Does he sleep ok during the day? if he has a day nap, that is?
    Maybe it's waking up in the dark thats frightening him? Maybe try a very dim night light?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunkamunka For This Useful Post:

TamGaw  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cant recall anything bad happening to him, or routine disruptions, it kinda just happened He still has a sleep during the day and goes down with out a problem, its just at night, i have been leaving the toilet light on which shines in his room (not enough to make him think its play time but enough so its not completley dark). I just looked up night terrors and it mentions that the baby/infant is not usually awake while having a night terror, but what ever is happening with my little man is waking him up! in fact he struggles to close his eyes again as if he is scared. If it is in fact a spirit, what can i do about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The other option might be an ear infection causing severe pain at night. It's when ear infections often cause bad pain.

Kids can do weird things in the middle of the night when they are half awake and particularly if they are overtired, so I wouldn't worry too much about jumping at shadows, but clearly he is distressed. I hope he has a better night tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews

Another suggestion too is could he have worms? I was so very surprised at the complete change in my daughters night time sleeping when she had worms. I watched her sleep one night and sat there shocked at her fright (I guess the worms were coming out of her bum?) and it'd stop when I picked her up and start again when I put her back down. Since treating she's gone straight back to perfect sleeping again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My ds did this about a month ago. At first i thought it was night terrors but after speaking to my mum she thought it could be worms. Took him to the doctors he thought so too so treated him for that, He went back to sleeping through for 4 nights. It then started happening again so took him back to the doctors, turns out he had an ear infection. After a day of being on antibiotics and he is back to sleeping through again. Maybe get him check out by the doctors.