+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please Help!! 9 month old has stopped drinking formula :(

My 9mo DD is half breast fed and half bottle fed. Last week she had a fever that lasted for a few days, then she stopped drinking out of her bottle. I took her to the doctor and found out she had a throat infection, which is why she stopped drinking. But now she is back to normal and still won't drink her bottle.

I've tried so many different things, she won't drink out of a sippy cup. She will drink water out of a mount franklin water bottle, I tried to trick her by putting the formula in instead, but as soon as she smells it she clamps up. I've tried making her weet-bix on formula as well but same result. I'm wondering if she is associating the smell of the formula with the pain she had in her throat? I tried switching formulas but no go.

I'm worried because I don't have enough milk in my breasts to sustain her for the whole day, which is why I started weaning her in the first place. She's been on formula for 3 1/2 months now.

So here are my questions:
    Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?
    Does my DD really need to be drinking formula at this age or can I switch her to full cream cows milk?

Please help, I'm very worried about her health and I don't want her to become dehydrated. Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't give her only cows milk until she is 12 months old. Until then, babies need the condensed nutrients from either breast milk or formula.

I'm sorry I really don't have much advice on how to fix it, but maybe you could try watering down her formula for a couple of feeds & see if she takes it? Then offer her extra bottles? Or offer it to her in a sippy cup & not a bottle?

Does she drink water at meal times? If she is thirsty that would be enough to stop her dehydrating?

Good luck!!

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...-1226455172130

Sorry I don't have much advice either but just wanted to share the above link.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please Help!! 9 month old has stopped drinking formula :(

Hi that must be hard
    I got sick and my milk dried up when DD was 10 months and I was forced to put my DD on formula. Which I was not too happy about at the time I was really enjoying breastfeeding but a bout of gastro ended all that

Afterwards I read and was also told by a health professional that I prob could have just gone right to cows milk.
    Robin Barker also talks about it in her book Baby Love.....
    It's not like on the day of the baby's first birthday they all of a sudden can have cows milk, but not a day earlier iykwim?
    Especially in your scenario cows milk would be better for your baby than no milk.
    If you tried cows milk now, It's only 12 weeks before the 'recommended age ' for cows milk .... And if you tried a little bit first and see if their gut is able to process it. Like I said, they need some sort of milk right?

Of course I would check with your GP first and get their opinion.
    Otherwise try and get your supply back up by pumping or something? In my case that didn't work tho... When my breast milk was gone it was gone
    Good luck xxxx