+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    She's not trying to get a rise out of me, she's in a difficult situation at work and is angry and resentful that there is legislation that would support a pregnant woman but not her. I understand why she feels this way, but I don't think she is entitled to compare the two situations.
    I see her point but they are two completely different kettles of fish. Children are your responsibility. If they are unwell and you need to get them from school an employer may be likely to let you go collect them. Wanting to leave work because the tide is in and it's perfect to fish (a hobby) is not acceptable.

I don't know why I mentioned fish so much!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mishh For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (19-08-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    I don't get what you're saying? What does leave entitlements have to do with what I said? Pregnant women do get leave entitlements.
    Because you said it was silly without addressing the broader context of my question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To those of you who believe children are a lifestyle choice... do you therefore believe that those without children should receive the same benefits from their employer?

For example, if someone's lifestyle choice is travel, should their employer be required to hold onto their position for a year in the same way they would for a woman on maternity leave? Or should they receive time off work to pursue their hobbies in the same way their peer receives time to express milk or care for her sick children?

Because that's what's being suggested here. That these "lifestyle choices" are all equal and should be treated accordingly.

I never said the lifestyle choices should be treated equally and I don't know who else has? THE QUESTION WAS: Is having children a lifestyle choice; YES IT IS. What else is it? You can't be forced to have children. If you don't want children than don't have them. It's still a lifestyle choice no matter how you view it.

People get annual leave to travel. Some companies will hold their position so that a person can travel.. and you can't take maternity leave indefinately either.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

She's not trying to get a rise out of me, she's in a difficult situation at work and is angry and resentful that there is legislation that would support a pregnant woman but not her. I understand why she feels this way, but I don't think she is entitled to compare the two situations.
    Laws are there to allow all people to negotiate their work environment,

At the end of the day mum is not guaranteed the afternoon off for her childs game she was lucky her employer was willing and able to negotiate it.

If your 'friend' is that annoyed tell her to choose a different lifestyle 'choice' so she too can reap all the 'amazing benefits' pregnant people and mums / dads can get in the work force.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Personally my opinion is no way, it's nice that society doesn't ostracize those who cant or those who make the "lifestyle choice" not to have kids but it's still not (and shouldn't) be the norm. Having kids is the most fulfilling amazing thing my DH and I have ever done I can't buy think people are missing out. As for tax cuts and employment benefit I say it's only fair for going through pregnancy birth and raising a child while still being expected to work :-o

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    I never said the lifestyle choices should be treated equally and I don't know who else has?
    My friend has, that's why I started the thread. And that's why I was annoyed. Still silly?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    I don't think maternity leave is an entitlement in every job either, is it?
    I guess choosing the company you work for is also a lifestyle choice.
    Yes it is as long as you've worked there long enough. Paid maternity leave is not though.

Agree that choosing your company also affects your lifestyle!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Yes it is as long as you've worked there long enough. Paid maternity leave is not though.

Agree that choosing your company also affects your lifestyle!
    I dont believe it is if you are a casual employee?

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Perhaps I've asked the wrong question. Perhaps the question should be... are all lifestyle choices equally deserving of societal support and consideration?
    I think having children is a lifestyle choice.

I don't think all lifestyle choices are equally deserving of societal support.

Not sure about the consideration part.. considering things raises debates and has led to many great changes in legislation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it is silly. So someone likes to refer to having children as a lifestyle choice. You know what? There are more important things to be worried about like children dying of starvation. I can't believe some of things people get upset about on here.