+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Perhaps I've asked the wrong question. Perhaps the question should be... are all lifestyle choices equally deserving of societal support and consideration?
    Better question.. My answer is no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    A career break is not an entitlement though but would be great if it was!
    I don't think maternity leave is an entitlement in every job either, is it?
    I guess choosing the company you work for is also a lifestyle choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    I don't think maternity leave is an entitlement in every job either, is it?
    I guess choosing the company you work for is also a lifestyle choice.
    Choosing your career and who you work for etc is definitely a lifestyle choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Sex is a natural process for most people, abortion is a choice.
    It may be 'natural' in the sense that it's something which most people desire and participate in... but that doesn't make it any less of a choice.

If I eat whatever appeals to me, or I spend all day sleeping because it's "natural"... does that make it any less of a choice?

I'm not trying to equate sex with those choices... merely saying that just because something seems inbuilt, doesn't mean we're powerless to stop it. If we choose to act or not to act - regardless of how strong the impulses behind each decision may be - it's still just as much a choice.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Reproduction is a natural process (generally speaking). Birth control is a choice.

Thus choosing to be childless (I know some people don't have this choice, I don't mean them) is a lifestyle choice and there's nothing wrong with that, but the natural order of things can't be considered a lifestyle choice IMO.
    This...

Procreating is one of our most basic instincts and functions...choosing to go against this is a lifestyle choice as it denies the exact thing we're designed to do.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's another example, although from a different person.

I used to work in an environment that prided itself on being "family friendly". To that end, a colleague was allowed one unpaid afternoon off each week to assist with her children's sporting commitments. Another (childless) colleague once commented that she thought it was unfair that she couldn't also receive an afternoon off to pursue her hobbies (read "lifestyle choices").

The implication here was that the first woman's children and their sporting commitments were her hobby. I would strongly argue that they are not. I'm sure she had her own hobbies too, hobbies that she also was not allowed to take an afternoon off to pursue. Our workplace saw the value in allowing her time to raise her family, and didn't see the same value in needlecraft.
    Last edited by lambjam; 19-08-2012 at 10:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps I've asked the wrong question. Perhaps the question should be... are all lifestyle choices equally deserving of societal support and consideration?
    Agree that this is probably a more useful question :P
    My answer would be no. In this case, for the reasons already mentioned... children are necessary to society - they BECOME society - therefore are more deserving of societal support than somebody's hobby.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (19-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's another example, although from a different person.

I used to work in an environment that prided itself on being "family friendly". To that end, a colleague was allowed one unpaid afternoon off each week to assist with her children's sporting commitments. Another (childless) colleague once commented that she thought it was unfair that she couldn't also receive an afternoon off to pursue her hobbies (read "lifestyle choices").

The implication here was that the first woman's children and their sporting commitments were her hobby. I would strongly argue that they are not. I'm sure she had her own hobbies too, hobbies that she also was not allowed to take an afternoon off to pursue.
    Agreed. My child is not my hobby.
    Negotiate a better arrangement for yourself and stop comparing your work contract with someone elses. People make different workplace agreements for many things - not just children.

ETA: It's like people who say 'teacher's get too many holidays' - no they don't, they get the holidays they are entitled to as negotiated by unions and the government. Figure out what you want from your life and make it happen - don't whinge about what other people have. This attitude of 'it's not fair' is annoying.
    Last edited by babyla; 19-08-2012 at 10:09.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

escapethefate  (19-08-2012),HowCrazyCool  (19-08-2012),intruderalert1234  (19-08-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    TBH it's a ridiculous for thing for anyone to put forward and now I think she is trying to get a rise out of you.
    She's not trying to get a rise out of me, she's in a difficult situation at work and is angry and resentful that there is legislation that would support a pregnant woman but not her. I understand why she feels this way, but I don't think she is entitled to compare the two situations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So my friend's employer should give her the same consideration, leave entitlements etc to pursue her lifestyle choices as a pregnant woman?
    I don't get what you're saying? What does leave entitlements have to do with what I said? Pregnant women do get leave entitlements.