+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes...I did read the article

Whilst I agree that we need other people in order to maintain our society - and that this fact makes the existence of children important to all of us (and necessary to maintain the species) - that doesn't change anything.

It's still, generally, a choice that individuals make as to whether or not they want to have children. The consequences of that choice may be significant for other people, but most people still make that choice for themselves and the kind of lifestyle that they want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Reproduction is a natural process (generally speaking). Birth control is a choice.

Thus choosing to be childless (I know some people don't have this choice, I don't mean them) is a lifestyle choice and there's nothing wrong with that, but the natural order of things can't be considered a lifestyle choice IMO.
    This.

As old fashioned as it probably sounds I see having children as the norm. Not having children (by choice) is a lifestyle choice to me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mishh For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (19-08-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I agree. But, I'm a bit confused - is this what your friend is implying when she says it's a lifestyle choice? That she therefore should have these benefits as well?
    Yes, this is what she is implying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    What if your child is concieved from protected s.e.x?

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    I still see it as a choice. Firstly, you've chosen (again, generally) to have sex. Protected or not, you know that risk exists.

Secondly, you've chosen to continue with the pregnancy.

Obviously it's not a lifestyle choice if you lack other reasonable options (eg. rape where you have no access to abortions). However... in our society, it' usually a choice whether or not to have a child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Well, she can't have everything. Tell her when she makes the choice she gets the perks too. Her choice of lifestyle means that she forgoes maternity leave. TBH it's a ridiculous for thing for anyone to put forward and now I think she is trying to get a rise out of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I still see it as a choice. Firstly, you've chosen (again, generally) to have sex. Protected or not, you know that risk exists.

Secondly, you've chosen to continue with the pregnancy.
    Sex is a natural process for most people, abortion is a choice.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps I've asked the wrong question. Perhaps the question should be... are all lifestyle choices equally deserving of societal support and consideration?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

Well while I agree with your friend in part I don't think those without kids should get 12 months leave by law, or paid leave or anything. I think that's just silly.

Career breaks and flexible working should be open to all though (and these just need to be considered - applications don't need to be accepted by law).

It is a lifestyle choice IMO but obviously we need people to have children and jobs, etc need to be protected. I've also always been very pro PPL and childcare assistance even before having my own. And even more so now lol!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As someone else said, different perks for different jobs IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps I've asked the wrong question. Perhaps the question should be... are all lifestyle choices equally deserving of societal support and consideration?
    I think this is the question... The answer is no. IMO having a baby is a lifestyle choice for the couple but it also serves a wider societal function.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (19-08-2012),VicPark  (19-08-2012)