+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Completely agree that it's a lifestyle choice.

As for the point that new people are needed to look after us when we're old etc...
    we also need people with building skills (as an example) if we're to continue to expand on/update/repair our infrastructure. That doesn't mean that someone becoming a builder is any less of a choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I think this article sums up my thoughts.
    They're both. But when people make the choice to have children - to them, in their life, it is a lifestyle choice they make. People (generally) are not forced to have children for the continuation of the species, most people here choose to have them for whatever reasons.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Children change your lifestyle. It's a fact. So yes, it is a lifestyle choice to have children.
    Falling pregnant might be an accident, but you can still choose whether or not to continue the pregnancy. Whether it works for your belief system or morals or not the choice is still there.
    Ergo, yes. It's a lifestyle choice. It impacts on your lifestyle. I don't take offence at the concept because I look at it factually instead of letting it impact on how I feel about other people's judgement of my choices.

*shrug* I don't know why people whinge and moan about parents getting benefits. Who do they think pays the tax that helps to pay for their reduced medical costs when they're old and crusty and have no kids to look after them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Reproduction is a natural process (generally speaking). Birth control is a choice.

Thus choosing to be childless (I know some people don't have this choice, I don't mean them) is a lifestyle choice and there's nothing wrong with that, but the natural order of things can't be considered a lifestyle choice IMO.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (19-08-2012),delirium  (19-08-2012),Guest1234  (19-08-2012),lambjam  (19-08-2012),mishh  (19-08-2012),OJandMe  (27-08-2012),Starfish30  (19-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-08-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Not read whole thing but I did not have a baby for the greater good.. I had one because I (we) wanted one. Did you? Really?
    Of course not, but the fact is that as a society and a species we require women to have children, therefore we need to create workplaces that enable this. We do not require people to go on cycling holidays, study ornithology or take up quilting in a comparable way.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Completely agree that it's a lifestyle choice.

As for the point that new people are needed to look after us when we're old etc...
    we also need people with building skills (as an example) if we're to continue to expand on/update/repair our infrastructure. That doesn't mean that someone becoming a builder is any less of a choice.
    No, and as the article says we live in a society, we need other people, in all shapes and sizes. And all people start off as children.

"Those who regard children as nothing more than ‘biological tradition’ or other people’s lifestyle choice make a similar category error. Even on the crudest and narrowest calculations of self-interest, this view doesn’t stack up.
    Where do these people think their lifestyle comes from? Who pays the taxes that creates hospitals, schools, roads and other basic infrastructure? Who supplies the water, electricity, sewage without which their lifestyles would be impoverish? And when they’re old and frail, who’s there to care and clean up after them?
    The answer to all of these questions is other people, who, startling as it might sound, start out as children.
    At its most extreme, dismissing children in this way reveals a misanthropic individualism mixed with a virulently anti-social outlook; one that treats the presence of other human beings as little more than an inconvenience and an intrusion into an otherwise perfect existence."

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

I've read it now. Good article although I do not fully agree with it. And tbh I do think that those who choose to "breed" think the world should revolve around them... Just a bit

That's a quote from the article btw for those who haven't read it.
    Last edited by kw123; 19-08-2012 at 09:51.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have to say I disagree...
    Putting yourself in a situation where you might conceive a child is still (generally) a choice.
    You choose to have sex... you choose to have unprotected sex. They may be the choices which have been around the longest, or which you see as involving the least intervention, but they're still choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Have to say I disagree...
    Putting yourself in a situation where you might conceive a child is still (generally) a choice.
    You choose to have sex... you choose to have unprotected sex. They may be the choices which have been around the longest, or which you see as involving the least intervention, but they're still choices.
    What if your child is concieved from protected s.e.x?

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it's a lifestyle choice, I think that kind of puts the decision to raise children on the same level as choosing to take up knitting or smoking.

I see it as raising little people, people that will one day (hopefully) take an active part in our world

12. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Of course not, but the fact is that as a society and a species we require women to have children, therefore we need to create workplaces that enable this. We do not require people to go on cycling holidays, study ornithology or take up quilting in a comparable way.
    I agree. But, I'm a bit confused - is this what your friend is implying when she says it's a lifestyle choice? That she therefore should have these benefits as well?

Different perks for different jobs.