+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Yes, I think you've summed up my thoughts. I'm almost certain my colleague could have negotiated an afternoon off for a family commitment, even if it wasn't for her child. That she didn't seem to see the difference between family commitments and hobbies was the problem.

Having talked this through, I think when my friend refers to other people's "lifestyle choices" I am less annoyed by the term itself than the implication that all "lifestyle choices" are equally deserving of societal and workplace support.
    Perhaps a community commitment would be okay as well.

Surely the workplace may've been willing to negotiate one unpaid afternoon off a week to:
    * volunteer as a coach for a childrens sports team, or
    * participate in rehearsals for community theatre, or
    * volunteer for meals on wheels, or
    * participate in a community garden, or
    * some other community oriented task

But a hobby is simply one's own interest and thus the workplace is less likely to be as accommodating.

There is however a gray area where the lines between hobby and comminuty involvement get blurred - such as being a member of a medieval reenactment group for example. Some people would consider that simply a hobby whereas others a community pursuit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

It is a gray line. What about those who compete in sport at a national level? Plenty of Olympians have other jobs. Should they be entitled? I definitely think so but others might disagree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    It is a gray line. What about those who compete in sport at a national level? Plenty of Olympians have other jobs. Should they be entitled? I definitely think so but others might disagree.
    If you are in a Govt role, there is actually such a thing as "sporting leave" available to those representing their country at the highest level. This is in addition to annual leave arrangements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Most of the places I have worked have offered flexible work arrangements to anyone who requests them. I know someone who worked four days a week as she was an olympic fencer. Many also offer a certain number of fully paid volunteer days to every employee, leave of absence and leave without pay arrangements for those who want to take a career break or go on an extended overseas trip...

I do agree that having children is a lifestyle choice to an extent, but it is a lifestyle choice which comes with responsibility and commitment like no other, and I think it is great that the legal protections are there for parents in the workplace.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

Yes I believe having children is a lifestyle choice as in the timing of them rather than the biological urge.

Some people put off babies for career, buying a house, travel, economic stability etc.

Others have babies earlier for their own reasons.

People space their children often for the same reasons too. Yes there are unplanned pregnancies but I'm dealing with the planned ones only.

We chose to have our children early as to avoid any future potential health or infertility issues. DH and I were reluctant to get financially stable only to spend everything on ivf. We also wanted to have energy to raise our babies and toddlers. Plus our parents are young grandparents and have the energy to babysit/be involved etc.

This was our choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see where you are coming from OP. You have my support!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's a lifestyle choice. It's a huge choice that affects your lifestyle in a major way.

I think saying that being gay is a "lifestyle choice," (heard it numerous times) is far more offensive to my ears...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-08-2012)