+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dictionary definitions of individual words often don't express the nuance that is created when they combine as one term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Since there is no dictionary definition of "life style choice", I did the closest thing possible.
    As I was being called arrogant for my beliefs I sought to correct the error in judgement on my character. I'm arrogant, in some respects, but not because I know that having children will change my life, and I do so by choice. If I wanted to continue to be able to waste my money, travel everywhere whenever I felt the urge, etc etc, then I would not have children. I am choosing to change that by bringing children into my life.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Since there is no dictionary definition of "life style choice", I did the closest thing possible.
    As I was being called arrogant for my beliefs I sought to correct the error in judgement on my character. I'm arrogant, in some respects, but not because I know that having children will change my life, and I do so by choice. If I wanted to continue to be able to waste my money, travel everywhere whenever I felt the urge, etc etc, then I would not have children. I am choosing to change that by bringing children into my life.
    I suppose it means different things to different people. To me it means whether you are a two-car family, commute for extra money, grow your own vegies, buy a big TV, give up smoking.

Society needs people, and people come from babies. Completely different kettle of fish (there are those pesky fish again!).

In any case the topic has run its course for me, so my thanks to all contributors, and happy Sunday evening to all .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep it's a lifestyle choice absolutely. Just like not having kids, having dogs, living rural, living in city etc etc. Doesn't mean it's not incredibly important to society.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (19-08-2012),zombiekitty  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Most people who use the term, use it as a passive aggressive dig. So yup, the term annoys me, and usually so does the person using it.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

I can't be at$ed reading the whole thread, but I agree if anyone said: children are a choice, but I wouldn't say a 'lifestyle choice'. Lifestyle choice suggests a consumer choice, and children aren't a commodity. And if I'm the first to say that, go me for being original

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (19-08-2012),lambjam  (19-08-2012),NancyBlackett  (19-08-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I can't be at$ed reading the whole thread, but I agree if anyone said: children are a choice, but I wouldn't say a 'lifestyle choice'. Lifestyle choice suggests a consumer choice, and children aren't a commodity. And if I'm the first to say that, go me for being original

Touche Fearless Leader - I believe you are the first to say that
    I however, don't believe lifestyle choices are only limited to consumer choices eg: dietry choices are based on lifestyle and not necessarily a consumer choice.
    I agree, children are not a commodity.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Touche Fearless Leader - I believe you are the first to say that
    I however, don't believe lifestyle choices are only limited to consumer choices eg: dietry choices are based on lifestyle and not necessarily a consumer choice.
    I agree, children are not a commodity.
    Yessss!

I don't think they're limited to consumer choices, but in our day and age the two are very much intertwined. I think if it's actually dietary choices rather than intolerances etc then yes it's very much a consumer choice. What you choose to eat = where you do grocery shopping, what sorts of restaurants you might go to etc. But that's a bit off topic.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes I think it is a choice which impacts on your lifestyle. Yes it is biologically normal, but there was always ways (both natural and artificial) that cultures and other species have avoided having more children. People have always wanted to find ways to have some control over their fertility.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't call it a lifestyle choice, that does make it sound a little too materialistic for my liking, and you simply can't measure what a child brings to an individual, their family and society.

I'm glad that many people can choose whether or not to reproduce, but I think that it's shortsighted of anyone to berate the government for supporting pregnant women and families as there's a much bigger picture than simply comparing two people's working conditions.

Given that population growth seems to be an economic goal of most first world countries, support for pregnant women and families makes sense. Now if population wellbeing and work/life balance became an economic priority then I'm sure the government would implement a wider range of benefits for one and all.

Personally I think flexible work arrangement should be available to everyone, period. Unfortunately so many employers can't see past the expectation that full-time has to mean 5 day weeks.

I'm fortunate in that I work for a non-profit and there are quite a few people (with and without families) who negotiate a 9 day fortnight with either one day unpaid or they work extra hours on other days to make up the day off. From what I hear government jobs also occasionally offer rostered days off as incentive to work for them. So the consideration is there to pursue your lifestyle choices if you're willing to work for an organisation that offers these conditions.

There's also nothing to stop someone from negotiating an alternative to a 40 hour week once they've been offered a job or during their current role. I do respect that many employers won't take the request seriously no matter how much sense it makes - happy employees = better workers, why do so many employers not get that?