+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mount Barker SA

Hi all

me and my DH are looking to TTC very soon, Question is Has anyone recently used Mt barker or is it worth heading down the freeway to WCH. Wasnt able to find any recent info on this topic. Also considering the cost of the pregnacy management fee through shared care versus paying that fee to a private OB. Is it cheaper to pay a private OB than a doctor through shared care only option avail through Cara Bryant and Mt barker hospital

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynter2013 View Post
    Hi all

me and my DH are looking to TTC very soon, Question is Has anyone recently used Mt barker or is it worth heading down the freeway to WCH. Wasnt able to find any recent info on this topic. Also considering the cost of the pregnacy management fee through shared care versus paying that fee to a private OB. Is it cheaper to pay a private OB than a doctor through shared care only option avail through Cara Bryant and Mt barker hospital

Thanks
    Its a little bit more expensive because you do pay a small fee with each drs appointment, but in my opinion - the hospital and postnatal care you receive is WELL worth it. i adore the hospital.

the shared care is worth it though. there's lots of drs who do it, not just cara, so look around - but they all work in a roster, so 'your' dr might not be on the week you end up giving birth.

just think, at wch, you have to travel there, wait up to an hour and a half for each appointment and then travel home again...thats worth the gap fee at the gp for me for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that we were also curious as we had heard about capacity problems at mt barker hospital too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynter2013 View Post
    Thanks for that we were also curious as we had heard about capacity problems at mt barker hospital too.
    they do have a maximum capacity - but they're upgrading the maternity section soon.
    but its very rare that people are turned away - i mean, it happens of course. but its not common at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks that sounds great do want to s how much is the stay close to home. With shared care how much is usually the pregnancy management fee couldn't get any recent info on that either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am currently pregnant with our second child and due at the end of Nov. Our 18 month old DD was also born at Mt Barker. I saw Dr Katrina Allen who works from Littlehampton Medical Center throughout both my pregnancy with DD and also for this pregnancy. She is absolutely wonderful. There is no fee for appointments with her so the only things that I have paid for are scans. Obstetric GP's work on a weekly call roster at Mt Barker hospital so you are not guaranteed to have your chosed doctor there for the birth. This did not worry me. I ended up in an emergency c-sec with DD and the OB, Dr Andre Klomp, was called in for it. He has a strange personality so I'm glad I didnt chose to see him throughout the pregnancy. I'm not sure who, if any, you can choose to see privately through Mt Barker. It is a wonderful hospital. They are very natural with their approach. My Mum who is a Midwife was very impressed with their facilities and approach when she attended my birth. When I spoke to the midwife at my booking in appointment last week she said she wouldnt be holding her breath for an upgrade to the hospital any time soon. Food was great. Loved their strict visiting times and that visitors cannot gain access to the ward whenever they like as there are locked doors at the entrance. Cannot speak highly enough about the hospital and its staff. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. And all the best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mount Barker SA

Hi
    I noticed your post asking about having babies at Mt Barker. I hope it's not too cheeky, but I just wanted to mention that I'm a student midwife working from mount Barker. We have to follow a certain amount of pregnancies throughout our degree and I just wondered if it was something you might consider?
    If not, no problem. Just thought I'd ask!
    On another note, I had two of my babies at mt barker and one through WCH and I can well and truly vouch for mt barker! All of the shared care gp's are lovely. I had Cara but you do pay a gap fee with her. The others are all nice too though.
    Best of luck with your TTC or congratulations if you're pregnant!
    All the best
    Skye
    Skudgy@gmail.com

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mount Barker SA

I had my baby boy at Mt Barker in July of this year. I LOVED it there. The midwives are so lovely and if was so nice having my partner able to stay (not an option at WCH). It was good having my own room, too. My OB wasn't there for the birth, I had someone I hadn't met before but I was very comfortable with her. I stayed for 3 days but was allowed to stay for more if I needed, they were very welcoming there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mount Barker SA

Hi all,

I'm 32 weeks and delivering at Mount Barker. It's reassuring to see positive feedback about experiences there.

I was worried about the capacity issue, but I'm more concerned about the fact I was told that depending on when I go into labour there may not be anyone to give an epidural - not liking that idea at all!! I didn't like that the midwife I had my booking appointment with kept pushing me towards a water birth, even though I stated it doesn't interest me in the slightest - because of her it has me worried that I won't be listened to on the big day.

Can anyone tell me what I should bring/what they provide? Also, do they listen to you and heed reasonable requests - I've stated that I don't have a birth plan aside from having an epidural and getting me daughter out safely for both of us.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mount Barker SA

I had a really off putting midwife at my booking appointment but I never saw her during my stay at the hospital. Mt Barker are pretty big on natural birth - I think you can pre book an epidural, but you never know, you might not need it.

What GP are you seeing?

They have cloth Nappies, if you want to use disposables you'll have to bring your own. They have towels, maternity pads, ice packs. The food is half decent. They also have singlets and blankets for bub but I preferred to use my own.

I loved my time there. I was induced, had a drug free birth with an episiotomy/ventouse delivery and I would not change a thing. I felt that my wishes during labor were respected, I wasn't restricted to a bed despite having high blood pressure, etc. I got my skin on skin time straight away, they don't weigh/measure for a few hours afterwards to allow bonding time. I stayed in the labor room with DS for a few hours just laying there together before I moved back to my room. No pressure.