+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default when did your baby get over being unsettled?

there are a lot of posts mine included about babies not sleeping well during the day and night. just wondering if your baby was like this when did it get better? what did u do to help of anything did.

ds is 5mths terrible sleeper from birth seems to get worse not even nurse could help me get him to sleep on his own. i need to walk him in pram for sleeps in day and at night he is up about 6 times 730pm until 7am. so im starting to lose hope that anything will help.

what happened for u?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

About 6 months old we were able to get into a routine with his feeds and nap times, etc. I started to feel more in control but I was also not coping well and very sleep deprived and depressed.

At 8 months his silent reflux got sorted, I stopped feeding to sleep during the day (rocked him instead), and spaced out night feeds more/tried to get DH to settle him instead. That's when things got better, but they were still pretty awful till 12 or 13 months - we figured out he has a mild allergy to tomatoes and plus he was probably just ready to start sleeping through. Up until we cut out tomatoes he would need cuddling for 2-3 hours at a time in the middle of the night.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: when did your baby get over being unsettled?

Thanks for your reply. Its sp hard i wish they could give better hints as to what is wrong. Did you go to the doctor for help? Did they do tests before he was 1? Just seems like other babies are starting to settle down now and we are going backwards just seems something is wrong..

Sorry it took so long for ur little one

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry to go a bit off topic OP.

Duckduckgoose - what symptoms was your DS displaying to make you look at tomatoes? I think my DS may have a mild reaction to tomatoes and interestingly enough we also spend a few hours in the middle of the night resettling.

Kim85 - I hope you get some relief soon. Having an unsettled baby is tiring to say the least.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi Kim, you know your bub better than anyone and if you think there is a health issue causing the unsettledness then definitely take her to the GP.

If you aren't satisfied with their diagnosis, or lack thereof then get a referral to a paediatrician.

My bub was unsettled til 3 months and that was enough for me so after two GP visits we went to a paed who diagnosed reflux a d since being on medication she was much more settled. She's still a slight challenge but much easier to settle.

So definitely get bub checked out just for your peace of mind. If they find nothing wrong then it might be time for sleep training...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Sorry to go a bit off topic OP.

Duckduckgoose - what symptoms was your DS displaying to make you look at tomatoes? I think my DS may have a mild reaction to tomatoes and interestingly enough we also spend a few hours in the middle of the night resettling.

Kim85 - I hope you get some relief soon. Having an unsettled baby is tiring to say the least.
    It was just a fluke. We were growing cherry tomatoes and DS was eating about 5 million a day. I noticed he was getting a rash on his chin after eating them so we cut them out. He started sleeping better but we didn't put two and two together. Then one night as I was cuddling him in the dark I thought, hmmm maybe it's something he ate for dinner, and I remembered he'd had tomato sauce with his veggies for tea. Then I realised he'd had tomato sauce three times that week and each night had been a crappy night. Now we notice it if he even has a tiny bit of tomato.

Kim85 I did go to doctors - three including a paed. Not one of them took me seriously although the second GP prescribed Bethanacol (old fashioned med that caused a heap more problems for 5 months), the paed prescribed losec but a very low dose and it wasn't till I got proactive and went to ANOTHER doctor and insisted on getting a proper dose. THEN things improved. Do you think your little one has reflux?