+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spinal or Epidural?

I didn't get a choice for either cs...got epidurals for both. First one was a breeze...second one got wierd side effects (all over body itching - gave me a drug and stopped immediately and I got uncontrollable shakes, like jaw moving up and down and couldn't stop it- this stopped after about an hour after csection, it was horrible) I have to say its very rare and my anesthetist the second time around was nothing short of a loser! Having said all this I would still do an epidural again. You have a pva and you administer your own pethadine for up to three days. Doesn't get in the way. Have no idea about spinals coz never had one.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    our anaesthetist does an epidural for a planned caesarean, and a spinal for emergency (spinal is quicker)

Id prefer to be able to get up as quickly as possible personally

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Spinal or Epidural?

I've had an epi with first, spinal with second and spinal epi with third!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oops posted too soon. I've had an epi with first bub, spinal with second and epi/spinal with third.
    I prefer the spinal by itself. I had the quickest recovery time with the least amount of drugs.

The combination of both gave me the most incredible shakes and I hated the epi still being in my back.

The epidural was good as they left it in and I could administer my own pain relief but again i didnt like the thought of having it in my back.

I'm not one for lots of drugs so I managed most of my pain with nurofen and panadol.

Thanks
    Reviews

My anesthetist used a spinal but inserted the epi without turning it on. If I just had one or the other and suddenly felt something during surgery I would have needed a general - this way if I felt something during surgery there was a backup - the epi could be turned on. It wasn't needed in the end and was removed in recovery.

My first csec I'd had an epi and in comparison I preferred the numbness of the spinal. It just felt denser. I also had less shaking and didn't feel as spaced out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our hospital uses epidural for emergency and spinal for planned. To be honest I had an epidural for the first Cesar and had the shakes and stuff as well... and I also had the shakes after the spinal but they weren't as bad as the one with the epidural. I got the itchy sensation with both so I don't think there's much of a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews

Random question....but does it hurt getting a needle in your spine ?
    I have to have a caesar with this bub and am petrified of needles.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mumofprincess View Post
    Random question....but does it hurt getting a needle in your spine ?
    I have to have a caesar with this bub and am petrified of needles.
    You get a local first and that stings a tiny bit. There's no pain after that, but it can feel really weird. With #3 I felt nothing at all, but with the other three I could feel various strange sensations. With #4 in particular there was heaps of pressure; it didn't hurt, but it wasn't pleasant.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok thank you. At least they give you a local. I thought they just put the needle straight in! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mumofprincess View Post
    Ok thank you. At least they give you a local. I thought they just put the needle straight in! Lol
    That was a big fear of mine too this last time as for my first csec (emergency) they didn't have time for a local! But they numbed it nicely and all I felt was pressure

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CluckySC For This Useful Post:

mumofprincess  (20-08-2012)