+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spinal or Epidural?

Hi Ladies,

So I was discussing our CS with our OB and he said it's the anesthetist that decides between a spinal or an epidural or sometimes a combination of the two unless I have a specific preference.

Just wondering what the pros & cons are for each or should I just go with whatever the anerhatist prefers?

If u had the choice, what would u choose?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Spinal!

I had a cs and had a spinal!
    The numbing effect of a spinal block lasts longer. So when you go into your room you can lay down and actually get some rest without pain, where as when they switch off epidural, the pain relief stops so you're given something else, usually panadol or brufen.

Spinal is one big single injection where as epi is a continuous flow of relief..

When they mix it, they do it so that you have *some* lasting pain relief after the cs, but you're up and moving around quicker.

I had my cs at 4pm, so had a spinal and stayed in bed until 7am the next morning when I got up and showered etc which suited me perfectly as I didn't feel rushed or pushed to get moving around as quickly.

Good luck!!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had one epidural and three spinals. They felt exactly the same when administered, exactly. The main difference was that the epidural stayed in for 48 hours and my pain relief was administered through that, whereas with the spinal I had the usual self-administered pain relief through a cannula in my hand.

The level of numbness during the surgery was different too; with the epidural I felt nothing at all in my legs, they were absolutely dead, however with the spinals I felt a kind've buzzing sensation... the way I described it was like static on the television, I don't know if that makes sense!

On the whole I would probably choose the spinal, simply because the epidural stays in for so much longer and I'm not fond of the idea of something sitting in my spine for that long.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've had an epi with my natural and spinal with my 3 c-sections. I would pick spinal if you get to choose. The Epi took a good 12 hours to wear off where as the spinal wore off after 2-4hours and I was able to get the catheter out, hop up and shower and tend to bub whenever I wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't tell you the difference between the 2, as a spinal is all I've had. I chose the spinal after a chat with the anesthetist. I just can't remember why I specifically chose it though.
    I think it was something to do with the time it takes to wear out. It wore out after about 6 hours which was good as I was getting an incredible sore back from lying on my back for all those hours. I was dying to roll onto my side.
    I never felt a thing during the whole procedure. I felt a bit of tugging and pushing, which you'll probably feel with an epi too, but no pain.

When I was brought into recovery, they had put this device on my legs that was putting pressure on them every 30 seconds orso. It inflated for 5 seconds and then deflated again. It was to keep the circulation going. It was a weird feeling once I got the feeling back in my legs and I had to keep it for the whole time I couldn't get out of bed, which was about 12 hours.

If you want to know more about the difference between the 2, you can put in a request to speak with the anesthetist before your cesarean.

Thanks
    Reviews

With all 3 of CS I had the combination of both. I loved that the epidural is left in and you can have numbness until they remove it. Our hospital protocol is the epidural and urinary catheter are removed the morning after your CS and you commence on oral endone.

Most anaesthetists will have there favorite way of doing it. But general rule is spinal is shorter acting generally 2-4 hours. Epidural will last while ever they keep topping it up. The only down side to having just a spinal for a CS is if for some strange reason it doesn't last long enough to cover you for the entire CS and half way thru you have to have a general anesthetic.

Thanks
    Reviews

I didn't get a choice with my c section. They just gave me a spinal. I had no problems with it. Didn't feel any pain and it wore off fairly quickly afterwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've only had spinals so can't compare the two, but what I liked about the spinal is that it's not left in - you have a drip & a catheter already so one less tube hanging off me was a huge bonus in my eyes!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a combined spinal/epi, but the tube came out in recovery anyway. They did it that way so they could top the epi up if i freaked about feeling things, which i got them to do whilr they were stitching me up anyway! My legs were numb fer a few hours but i was up early the next morning anyway

Oh i would do a combined again for sure. It was the hospys preffered method and as i had so much faith and trust i went with it!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Spinal or Epidural?

I didn't get a choice, my record says it was a spinal. It didn't work and I then had a general. Due to the failure for me I'd go the opposite next time.