+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New SAHM with toddler and newborn. Help!!!

Hi everyone. I have a 2.5 year old son and a brand new 10 day old daughter. After DS was born I went back to work 1.5 days per week when he was 7 weeks old. I gradually built up to three days a week. I've never really been a full time SAHM but that's what I'll be for the next six months or longer depending on finances. Ok, here's my problem. My DS is very active and I'm at a loss how to entertain him while I'm feeding a newborn every 1.5 - 2 hours. He doesn't like TV/DVD's. I try to do educational activities or reading but he just isn't interested. We go to the park but he just gets cranky because I can't play with him the whole time. He does help with housework and the new baby for short periods of time. I avoid shopping centres with him as he's a nightmare in them. The things he mainly likes doing are playing trains and having me chase him around. I do these things but I've got 12 hours of his awake time a day when he needs entertaining and with a new baby running around the backyard or sitting on the floor for ages doesn't work all day! I'm completely stumped. How do you keep a toddler entertained when there's a newborn? I feel sorry for DS because he's so used to so much activity and he's suddenly so bored.
    Also, there are no decent playgroups in my area. I also don't want him in daycare. He's been going since he was 6 months old and he hates it. Help! Advice please.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Subbing as this will be me in 4 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is me...
    It's pretty crazy in our house. I'll try to think of some of the ideas that I have to entertain DS1 while busy with DS2. It's a shame that your DS doesn't watch tv, because it really does help when I need a little bit of quiet.
    Sometimes while feeding we play the puzzle game, I hold the box full of puzzles...I got them from kmart for $7 they are each 3 or 4 pieces and I break one up, give it to him, he does it and reads it them gives it back to me and I give him the next one. Drawing and colouring in is also good, sometimes I will put DS1 in the highchair and I'll feed at the table and he can colour in and I can draw cars etc with my spare hand. Reading books is also something that you can do while feeding, just get him to turn the pages. We have a very small backyard with a door off our bedroom, so I often will just put DS1 outside and call out things for him to do, such as 'do some more running sweety-pie, do some fast running'...but really more often it's things like 'stop throwing the rocks DS!' It's really crazy, but it gets easier. My DS2 is now 4 months, and he is a terrible sleeper, I don't want to leave DS1 alone while I try to get him to sleep in his cot, so he gets wrapped up and falls asleep while I walk around rocking him and playing with and watching DS1. You just have to do what works and try to stay relaxed and enjoy being with your little people who will grow up too quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My boys are 20 months apart. I found my second was quite happy to be taken around in my arms or a carrier while i did activities with the toddler.

Trains/cars, building blocks or Duplo, puzzles, drawing, play dough, garden scavenger hunt (I would draw like 2 leaves, 3 flowers, 2 rocks etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe try a dvd you can interact with, eg one he can dance too, or you and he talking about what is happening on the dvd, or one that reads books?

I let mine ride their toddler bikes in the house (we have lots of tiles), which helps to wear them out a bit.

I had a bag of small cheap toys so I could get a new one out on bad days.

I also set up the coffee table with pillows etc so they could jump off it.

We also bought a few new big toys (luckily bub came around birthday time!), so we have a kitchen for pretend cooking and a cubby house inside.

I really struggled those first few months, good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subbing too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: New SAHM with toddler and newborn. Help!!!

Could you use a ring sling or baby carrier for the newbie?

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a 20 month age gap, the beginning was the easy part as I just used to babywear all day. If DS1 was due for breakfast/morning tea/lunch etc I'd sit next to him and feed DS2 then (so he wouldnt need a feed during playtime etc). It's now that they are both demanding that I'm struggling lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Subbing