+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Will he eventually drop the night feeds?!

Hi all
    My beautiful boy is 5 months old & is still wanting a feed at 2am then 5am.
    Will he drop the 2am feed when he is ready or do I have to try a method to help him?
    He feeds 4hourly during the day,
    Pureed food 1hour after his milk.
    Bath at 5.30 in bed by 6. Dream feed at 10.30

Any tips/advise?
    All the girls bubs at mothers group sleep all night :/ so I have no one to get advise from that are in the same boat.

Thanks
    Reviews

Your bub will find their way. 5 months is still so young. And I bet my last dollar if you ask all the mums at mothers group a few more questions I bet their babies do not sleep 12 hours every night. I've got 3 kids - my first starting sleeping all night from about 3 months. Except when winter hit and he got sick. My second did not sleep until she was 2 years old and had her adenoids and tonsils out. My lucky last is 25 months and does not sleep. He's up between 2-6 times a night. Every baby is different.

Relax, enjoy your baby, sounds like he's like most babies at that age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boy was still feeding during the night until he was 15 months old.

I cracked it one night, I was so sick and tired of getting up and feeding him, but sometimes it was just so damn easier to feed him for 5 mins and be back in bed, than try and resettle him.

I just stopped night feeds altogether. It took us 3 horrible nights of crying and shushing and patting for about 1.5 hours, before he slept. He's slept through the night from then on.

Looking back, I don't know why I tolerated it. I should have canned night feeds ages ago. I do think at 5 months, your bub is still very young. Don't believe all your friends who say their bubs sleep through the night. Who cares if they do, it certainly doesn't help how you feel when yours wakes up 2/3/4 times a night. All I can say is, it will pass. Sometimes on their accord, and sometimes when we get fed up and lay down the rules for them instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first started sleeping through at about 6 weeks but he was never and at 5 still isn't a big feeder but the second never slept through and at nearly 2 we moved the boys into the same room after a grandparent visit and they were in tears being seperated after 3 weeks together. He now sleeps through. He was disturbed a lot at night with teeth movement and being a big eater I fed him till 12 months then dropped the night feeds all together. I gave him more solids like my dad says they used to bog us down with custard to get us to sleep so I fed him fairly solid puree and custard before bed and he didn't need so much except cuddles and bongella for his sore gums. Good luck but enjoy everything that happens and don't think just because theirs don't that yours shouldn't. Were all different that's what makes us special.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son woke through the night for breastfeeds until he was 15 months and weaned himself. 5 months is still so young! He will definitely drop it eventually, it might just take 10 more months! I tried a lot of gentle things but I knew I would just have to resist and not feed him for a few tough nights. I never had the guts to do that. I pretty much agree with what sunnyskies said.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Will he eventually drop the night feeds?!

Hi have you tried when he wakes up at the 2am mark just to comfort him without feeding? Reading your post sound like he has a regular routine and has adapted very well to it! In regards to your feeds does he feed for long or do you think he is waking up for a bit of a top up?

In regards to solids is he having 3 meals a day?

I've had good sleepers but find with my kids when they woke up during the night they were sick or teething so not much advice for you here.

But in saying that he is still young as some babies don't settle till there 1 so nothing to be concerned of.

do you bf? If you do maybe he might need a formula feed before bed to keep him fuller at night? and its a good way to see how much he is drinking before bed time also

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Will he eventually drop the night feeds?!

My 20 month old still wakes up for a bottle! All kids are different. My older 2 slept right through from young ages, ds2 did when he was younger, then started waking few times a night.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Twice a night at that age is good! Just let bub drop it naturally.

My 5.5 month old has gradually dropped feeds and now feeds twice a night.

Last night she actually just needed one for the first time ever! I think it's from her now having solids.

Don't worry a out what the other mums bubs are doing. In my mums group they all said the same thing but when I asked more questions turns out their bubs were going to sleep at 10 or 11 and waking up at five when my bub goes down at 7 and wakes between 6 and 8 each morning. I know what I'd prefer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'd let bub drop a feed when he's ready, don't think u should force them, especially at that age.. Tho I know the temptation!! DD didn't drop her night bottle till about 16 months.. She's 22 months now and still occasionally wakes for a night bottle!! She'll down maybe 200-250mls as a 2am feed, so I know she's genuinely wanting milk and not just being a PITA

All my friends bubs all started sleeping thru the night at 4-6 months.. But my DD has always been a good feeder, to this day she's a good eater (while my friends have grey hairs trying to get their kids to eat a decent sized portion haha)

Thanks
    Reviews

It's totally normal. They are growing so fast and have different sleep cycles to adults.
    My first didn't sleep through till 10 mo and my current 12 mo still wakes at least once most nights for a feed.
    If its comfort sucking then you can try settling instead, but in most cases babies will night wean when their bodies are ready.