+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think it is very helpful for people to say things like "I didn't take anything and my baby is fine..." It's obviously great that your baby is fine, but low folate in pregnancy is proven to significantly increase your chances of spina bifida and other problems for bubs...

Having said that, I don't take a preg multivitamin- for those saying elevit makes them constipated, it's the iron in it, so likely that any preg multi will do the same. I just take the blackmores i-folic too, so just iodine and folate... (But yes, I do sometimes forget!)
    Last edited by MissSookyLaLa; 27-12-2012 at 20:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by catrules View Post
    http://www.womenshealth.gov/publicat...folic-acid.cfm

Even eating a healthy well balanced diet including folate enriched foods (cereal, bread etc) doesn't guarantee you have enough folate in your body to prevent birth defects such as spina bifida. Why would you want to risk it?
    A well balanced diet would guarantee your diet is high enough in folate, hence "well balanced". In more simple terms humans have been having babies for a very long time without the need for supplementation or even enriched foods (which I also try to avoid).

Why would I risk it? I believe for me the risk is insignificant at best and am far more concerned about the limited research regarding excessive consumption of folate during pregnancy. While not an expert, I did spend two years as a research chemist in nutrition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissSookyLaLa View Post
    I don't think it is very helpful for people to say things like "I didn't take anything and my baby is fine..." It's obviously great that your baby is fine, but low folate in pregnancy is proven to significantly increase your chances of spina bifida and other problems for bubs...
    I think personal antidotes are fine, but should be taken as just that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone not taking supplements?

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    In more simple terms humans have been having babies for a very long time without the need for supplementation or even enriched foods (which I also try to avoid).
    Humans have also been having babies with defects like spina bifida since the beginning of time, these kids just would have died before birth or early in their life.
    You could say the same thing about humans having babies without medical care, yeh they did for thousands of years but its not optimum! I think it's dangerous to say that the risk is insignificant. Perhaps to you (if u a very aware of your diet), but the risk is there for the average woman in our society.

Thanks
    Reviews

Uv breaks down folic acid, so fair people in a country like Australia are at an increases risk - this is why different skin colours evolved

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted&Pregnant View Post
    When I remember I end up constipated (a complaint common with elevit it seems) so I might try and change the brand.
    I don't have that problem?
    EDIT: just realised I did until I stopped taking it haha woops.

I try to take it but I often forget. I was great up until about last week. I can't swallow tablets either so I have to crush it up and down it with orange juice and the past couple weeks it's been making me gag and I dread doing it now. I take it maybe once or twice a week now I also had super high iron levels from it but now they're getting normal.. I also don't have the most balanced diet. My gp told me to only take folic acid or eat a lot of leafy greens
    Last edited by αληθη; 28-12-2012 at 11:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With ds I did and he has multiple life threatening allergies. I read a study after his birth linking supplements to allergies so when I fell with dd I decided against them. She was born blind, no sense of smell and has complex brain malformations (and will likely have an intellectual disability and mobility problems). Although there is no direct correlation between her specific birth defects I still regret not taking them...that feeling of wishing I had done everything in my power to not jeopardise my baby's health. Needless to say, I'm taking supps daily this time round!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other issue with diet is that a lot of the produce grown is not of the same quality as say, home grown organic. The soil that is on commercial farms has often been overworked and drained of most of the nutrients meaning that the fruit and veges consumed may not have all the vitamins and minerals that you think it does/should. I am on a multivitamin for that reason even though my cravings are always what I need (e.g. red meat or spinach when my blood production is going up and more iron is needed). Until I can grow my own vegies I would at the very least take the folate.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Anyone not taking supplements?

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I don't have that problem?
    EDIT: just realised I did until I stopped taking it haha woops.

I try to take it but I often forget. I was great up until about last week. I can't swallow tablets either so I have to crush it up and down it with orange juice and the past couple weeks it's been making me gag and I dread doing it now. I take it maybe once or twice a week now I also had super high iron levels from it but now they're getting normal.. I also don't have the most balanced diet. My gp told me to only take folic acid or eat a lot of leafy greens
    I can't swallow tablets either but I managed to find Natures Way Pregnancy Vita Gummies which are awesome! Yummy too, orange flavour. Got them from Woolworths for about $20 for a jar of 100

Sent from my umbrella

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by RourkesMumma View Post
    With ds I did and he has multiple life threatening allergies. I read a study after his birth linking supplements to allergies so when I fell with dd I decided against them. She was born blind, no sense of smell and has complex brain malformations (and will likely have an intellectual disability and mobility problems). Although there is no direct correlation between her specific birth defects I still regret not taking them...that feeling of wishing I had done everything in my power to not jeopardise my baby's health. Needless to say, I'm taking supps daily this time round!
    That's so horrible. Sounds like there's more going on then taking or not taking a supplement. Guess it's easy to say try not to feel guilty but these things happen and it's not your fault...
    I hope your next pregnancy is uneventful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast