+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow what kind of friends do you have? I have an angelcare monitor and while we've never needed as it's never gone off (touch wood) it puts my mind at ease. It won't stress you out more it will make you relax more as you know that the monitor should go off if your baby stops breathing.

I'd rather take flak as well rather than lose my baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Are breathing monitors eg. angelcare unecessary/paranoid/useless?

I used one for DD as she slept on her tummy from 8 weeks. I knew they did not prevent sids but I wanted it anyway. I think its because SIDS happens as a cascade of events and the final event of cessation of breathing is when things are to late. For that reason...they no good to prevent SIDS. I didn't use it for DH.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are breathing monitors eg. angelcare unecessary/paranoid/useless?

It never ceases to amaze me that some people just can't seem to mind their own business and let others make their own parenting decisions!

Don't listen to those so called 'friends'. We had an Angelcare monitor for our bub who was sleeping downstairs from us and got so used to turning it on every night that we ended up using it till bub move to a big bed. It had become force of habit :-)

Thankfully ours never went off (well, except for when we were so sleep deprived we forgot to turn it off!) but we viewed it as an insurance policy in that if we never had to use it then that was fantastic but in the off chance that it was a real emergency it would have saved bubbas life.

Sorry for the rant! Just wanted to say do whatever feels best for you :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Unfortunately it's probably not the last time u'll receive flak for your mothering choices... consider that your initiation into motherhood!

I still get flak for a lot of things (my DD is almost 2), occasionally it hurts my feelings but I'm getting better at ignoring ppl

If u want it, and see the benefits in getting one, then go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews

If I could have afforded it, I would've gotten it, certainly. Would've saved a lot of unnecessary stress. Every time the toddler has been sick, I have freaked out so much, every time the toddler has been sick (and there have been A LOT of flus, HF&M, temps, etc). I haven't slept those nights for fear that something would happen and I wouldn't know. I don't think it's unnecessary or paranoid at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Are breathing monitors eg. angelcare unecessary/paranoid/useless?

We have one and I wouldn't consider myself over the top or neurotic. I would though probably become neurotic going in checking DD 1000 times a night if we *didn't* have it!

A lot of my friends use/have used them so its not like you're the only one.

Don't worry about them. I love our monitor and am so glad we purchased it.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I reckon people are nasty about Angelcare monitors because they're expensive and they're annoyed they can't afford them, so they try and belittle you because you can and they're jealous. :P

I didn't have an Angelcare monitor (and probably won't with this bub either, even though we could probably afford it given we've already got all baby stuff from DS1) but I would NEVER dream of putting down another mother for choosing it! If it makes you feel a little bit more in control then go for it. We feel out of control SO MUCH in parenting, gosh, if we want ONE thing we can cross off our worry list then go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI there, I have one and am using it now for the third baby- have used it with the other two as well. With DS1, it set it off when he was very very little and we ran down to check and he had rolled- he was practically a newborn! Also, when sick it went off too. At the moment, everyone in my house it sick with a bad cold (except the 3 week old baby) and it gives me peace of mind having it on. All the best!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Lots of people use them, the only peice of advice that I would take heed of is that if you have one then also do a first aid course so you know what to do if god forbid it ever went off for real

Thanks
    Reviews

Agree with you 100% stormangel and think that a kids first aid course is a must!