Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sleeping Through the Night - Breastfed vs Formula-fed bubs

In my experience as a nanny and mother most ff babies sleep through earlier

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS1, Slept through from 12ish weeks (Breastfed until 8mths)

DS2, is 15mths, and doesnt sleep through at all (Breastfed still)

ETA: I disagree with the below comment, DS1 was 9pd11.5oz (4.41kg), and DS2 was 9pd9.5oz (4.35kg). DS1 sleeps, always has, DS2 does not. He did about 4wks of sleeping 8-11hrs at night. But then has started not sleeping again (10-1 3-6). They were only 60g different in weight.
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 19-08-2012 at 15:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to big babies...9lb7(DS) and 8lb10(DD), both only breast feed and DD was sleeping 9pm-7am at 8 weeks and DS was sleeping 7pm-7.30pm (with a dream feed at 9pm) at 6 weeks.
    Def think size has something to do with it.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    According to the research cited by the kellymom website, there is no evidence that formula or solids help babies sleep through, and claims it has been disproven by science.

Here is the link for anyone that is interested.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../solids-sleep/

they specifically cite these two studies which apparantly prove there is not link between better sleeping and formula or solids.

Haven't been able to read the research myself, but I do know this is a credible site and has some interesting information. Might be worth a read anyway.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 19-08-2012 at 15:08.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

My 3 were all breastfed (DS1 was comp fed 4-9 weeks).

DS1 8lb 3oz was a crap sleeper, woke every 45min-1.5hrs until we went to sleep school @ 5 months.

DS2 9lb 6oz was not crash hot either woke several times a night until I have up and started cosleeping.

DD 7lb 7oz is a brilliant sleeper (compared to my boys) she only feeds twice a night where as my boys where feeding 3-4 times at this age.

In my experience all the ff have slept better than the bf babies. But as others have mentioned breast milk is designed to be needed over night, its what's normal for human babies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All mine have been fully breastfed and all slept 8-12 hrs straight before 6 mths. The girls who were quite big slept 8 hrs around 8 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD was breastfed until 11 months and started to sleep through from 2-3 months. Nothing we did, just luck I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    http://www.aifs.gov.au/institute/media/media090630.html There is also a link to the study. " Growing Up in Australia: The Longitudinal Study of Australian Children – the largest-ever ongoing study of Australian families."
    My point was not that formula fed babies always sleep through the night. My point was that it is common for breastfed babies to wake more frequently in the night, particularly in the early days.. I only suggested it because I think its good if mums are ready and prepared for this possibility.
    Last edited by BH-tech; 06-01-2015 at 16:20.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh I forgot to say, my boys stacked on the weight were over 12kg @ 9months. DD is only just 9kg at 1 yr, so I don't believe the weight theory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Based on literally every single person I have known in the last 3 or 4 years to have a child breast fed babies do take longer to sleep through the night than formula fed. My understanding was that bm is digested more quickly, so needed more frequent feeds. I dont have any scientific evidence or anything but certainly most ff babies I know would sleep through before 6 months but not any of the fully bf bubs.

ETA I personally think the benefits of BFing are well worth it in case anyone thinks Im knocking it and will definately bf this one if I can!
    Last edited by soccer mum; 19-08-2012 at 23:47.