+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleeping Through the Night - Breastfed vs Formula-fed bubs

My boys were both formula fed and slept through from around 8 weeks. My daughter is breastfed and has been sleeping through since around 12 weeks. For a week in there I tried giving her a bottle of formula before bed of a night and it didn't make the slightest difference to when she woke for her next feed. I personally think each Bub indifferent and will sleep through when they are ready no matter how they are fed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    Who paid for those studies? Of course you would base your decisions about your baby based on your own circumstances and your individual child. Regardless of the studies. Is interesting that the comments here seem to go against the research is all.
    Its not really interesting at all. Bubhub is not always an accurate representation of reality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Sleeping Through the Night - Breastfed vs Formula-fed bubs

Jasper - breast fed - didn't sleep through until 3 years and now nearly 4 still wakes a few times a week at night. He's a crap sleeper, eats food, him not sleeping at this stage would have nothing to do with what he was fed as a bubba/toddler because he's not breed breast fed in about 8 months and still wakes at night.

Katelyn - breast fed - slept through from 6 weeks (as in didn't go to bed until usually 10pm, but then slept till 6am when he brother woke up)...... then teething began around 3 months. She's 5 months now, 2 teeth, red bumpy gums, cries off and on all day, wakes every hour and mostly wants to snuggle.

Never formula fed so I don't have anything to compare but I dunno if there's much relation.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think the size of the bubba has a lot to do with it too.

My bub was a bigger baby and he slept 8 hours from about 6 weeks. And 12 hours with a dreamfeed about 3 months.
    nahhhhh my babies are giant cos they get all the extra calories at night. Lols.

Katelyn is nearly 10kg at 5 months.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds was a terrible sleeper from Day1 with little concept of day or night until about 4 months and from then he was waking twice a night at least til around 15 months. There was no huge difference when I stopped BFing and started formula at 12 months.

My dd was a great sleeper from Day1. She slept from midnight til 5am from 1 week and by 4 weeks was sleeping 10 - 12 hours a night and continued til 3 months. She's not a great sleeper now. I hate sleep regression . But we do have infrequent all nighters. She's still BF.

There was an article the other day (on The Age website I think) that said only 68% of babies sleep through at 12 months. Talk about depressing!! (for those with bubs in the 32% of non-sleepers that is!)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    Its not really interesting at all. Bubhub is not always an accurate representation of reality.
    Neither are 'studies' on infant behaviour. There is always someone paying for the research and always bias. It is obvious that any study conclusively proving ff children sleep better is not entirely accurate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub is 11 weeks and exclusively bf, he has been sleeping 9.30pm - 7am for the last 3 weeks!! I believe demand feeding has helped. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

My FF bub slept 7-7 from 9 weeks. Out of all my friends babies the FF ones slept through earlier than the BF ones.

I do wonder if a lot of BF bubs get fed to sleep and start needing boob to resettle every time they wake in the night?

Thanks
    Reviews

DS1 was FF from 6 weeks and slept through the night consistently from 9 weeks and never needed a dreamfeed.

DS2 has been exclusively breastfed from birth and still needs at least one feed per night with a dreamfeed, occasionally twice a night. I don't feed him to sleep he's a great self-settler just seems to need that bit extra during the night.

It could be size related as VicPark said; DS1 was a chunk of a kid and slept like a rock while DS2 is only 6.8kgs at 6 months. He's just too busy to be bothered feeding for too long during the day he'd rather be rolling around the floor and exploring!

In my experience my FF bubba has been (and still is) the better sleeper.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    Neither are 'studies' on infant behaviour. There is always someone paying for the research and always bias. It is obvious that any study conclusively proving ff children sleep better is not entirely accurate.
    That's not what I said at all. Sigh.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub