+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sleeping Through the Night - Breastfed vs Formula-fed bubs

Ive had one of each
    DD1 - breastfed - slept thru 7-7 at 8mths

Dd2 - ff - slept thru 7-7 at 20mths

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS slept for a 6 hour stretch at about 5 months old. That was 'sleeping through' in my books. He'd wake up every 2 hours for a feed until that point, and he was FF.
    The first night that he slept for 6 hours I felt like I'd gotten 12 hours of sleep and was completely rested for the first time since he'd been born .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would say on average FF sleep through earlier but obviously you can't apply that to every case. I think it's partly that formula takes longer to digest but also I would say formula feeding is also associated with less feeding to sleep, and more ff babies would be on scheduled feeds than BF babies.

I was BF and slept through from 6 weeks. But I was on scheduled feeds and not ever fed to sleep (I found out recently I was left to "protest cry" to sleep).

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    I would say on average FF sleep through earlier but obviously you can't apply that to every case. I think it's partly that formula takes longer to digest but also I would say formula feeding is also associated with less feeding to sleep, and more ff babies would be on scheduled feeds than BF babies.
    If you base it on these responses, it seems the bf babies sleep through earlier. So that could be a myth about ff babies...perhaps the ff is less natural and being harder to digest makes the kids more restless? Maybe it is all to do with the individual child and formula companies have been spreading rumors about ff babies that sleep through? Maybe feeding to sleep produces more oxytocin and therefore a more settled and content baby at sleep time? So many possibilities and there isn't a one size fits all response unfortunately!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Sleeping Through the Night - Breastfed vs Formula-fed bubs

Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    If you base it on these responses, it seems the bf babies sleep through earlier. So that could be a myth about ff babies...perhaps the ff is less natural and being harder to digest makes the kids more restless? Maybe it is all to do with the individual child and formula companies have been spreading rumors about ff babies that sleep through? Maybe feeding to sleep produces more oxytocin and therefore a more settled and content baby at sleep time? So many possibilities and there isn't a one size fits all response unfortunately!
    I wouldn't base my expectations of a baby on a thread on bubhub. Most research has shown that breastfed babies do sleep more lightly than formula fed babies.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    U
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think the size of the bubba has a lot to do with it too.

My bub was a bigger baby and he slept 8 hours from about 6 weeks. And 12 hours with a dreamfeed about 3 months.

This could have something to do with why my son took longer to sleep through then my daughter.

My dd slept through from a few weeks old.
    My son slep through around 7 month, then started waking again. He started sleeping through again but has just started waking again, he is 2 so I'm hoping he sleeps through soon.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    I wouldn't base my expectations of a baby on a thread on bubhub. Most research has shown that breastfed babies do sleep more lightly than formula fed babies.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    Who paid for those studies? Of course you would base your decisions about your baby based on your own circumstances and your individual child. Regardless of the studies. Is interesting that the comments here seem to go against the research is all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DD who was breast fed till 6 months slept through from 3 weeks
    And DS was formula fed from 3 months and he slept through from 8 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my boys were sleeping through at 8weeks and both were fully breastfed. What they didn't drink during the night they more then made up for during the day, generally feeding every 2-3hours.

Vicpark may be on to something though, my boys were 9lb1oz and 8lb1oz at birth and both thrived and put on weight easily. By 8weeks they had doubled there birth weights and were quite chunky babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS ( formula fed from 2 weeks old) started sleeping for about 8 - 10 hours at 3 months old. I didnt night wean him, he just started sleeping longer. Most of my friends breast fed bubs ( apart for one) didn't sleep through until 6+ months. All depends on the bub though, there's no hard and fast rule.