Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sleeping Through the Night - Breastfed vs Formula-fed bubs

Oh and to add to the size all my girls were born in the 6pounds

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Sleeping Through the Night - Breastfed vs Formula-fed bubs

I breastfed my baby for 12mths and she slept through 7pm-8am from 5mths.

I know of fully breastfed babies that have slept 10-12hrs from birth. In my experience it makes no difference. Just feed quietly in the dark, no tv etc and hope for the best! I'm sure it just depends on the baby though, I'm hoping I'm as lucky with my second!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first DS was FF and was a shocking sleeper up until the age of around 8 months when he started sleeping 8 hrs straight!

My second DD is BF and started sleeping through for 10 hrs straight at around 6 weeks old!

So in my experience, FF or BF didn't make a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Sleeping Through the Night - Breastfed vs Formula-fed bubs

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think the size of the bubba has a lot to do with it too.

My bub was a bigger baby and he slept 8 hours from about 6 weeks. And 12 hours with a dreamfeed about 3 months.
    My son was bf and born 4.85kg. He only used to wake up once or twice since birth, but he took a lot longer to sleep through the night than my daughter who was ff.

I also think it depends on the child. My daughter has always been a great sleeper, my son has always been the better eater.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-08-2012 at 12:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Bf babies are thought to wake more frequently as breastmilk digests more easily and quickly and frequent waking or lighter sleeping is also thought to be protective against SIDS. On the whole, yes I think breastfed babies often take longer to sleep through. My ff baby slept through at 10 months. Before that he woke only once or twice a night. My dd is 100% breastfed and she wakes up a lot still at night. That said I kind of don't care anymore.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My FFd babies still don't sleep through at 30mo and 17mo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Ds1 was comp fed for the first few weeks then exclusively bf as he was in special care. Slept through once or twice from 16 months. Sleeps great once we moved him into a big bed at 20 months. Shouldve done that from birth

DS2 exclusively bf slept through from 10 weeks and was only having one overnight feed very early on. Sleep up and down now according to growth spurts.

DS2 was much bigger at birth but the biggest factor is our experience. We struggled with settling DS1 and really listened to our instincts and DS2 when it came to settling the second time around.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    DS was more FF and BF but he was a better sleeper than DD.

DD was BF and has been a terrible sleeper, however, we bedshared and I could feed her straight back to sleep without getting up or patting etc. At 20 months she still doesn't sleep though and she's not BF or FF now.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    My dd is 100% breastfed and she wakes up a lot still at night. That said I kind of don't care anymore.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    That too You know it's not forever and there are some nights I actually look forward to the overnight feeds and a nice quiet house. Especially when it's pouring tiny

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2OneDS View Post
    What's your experience like?

DS1 was almost 100% formula-fed (cos I ran into supply problem), he started sleeping through about 5 months. I would like to try 100% breastfeeding this time for DS2.

Out of curiosity, do you think a breastfed baby (any age before 6 months and up to 12 months) tend to take a longer time to start sleeping through the night, compared to formula-fed babies? Cos breast milk is more digestible than formula, so breastfed babies tend to wake more for feeds (I read that)?

Thanks for sharing.
    I honestly think it all depends on the baby. Both my girls were fully breastfed and started sleeping through a few weeks after they were born and before that they only woke once a night for a feed. that was just them and it had nothing to do with what they drunk.

I have a lot of friends that kids didn't sleep through and they introduced bottles so they would and it made absolutely no difference they still woke in the night