+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Painting with toddler tips

Great thread, OP - I've been wondering the same thing!

How does everyone else set up their paint 'station'? Do you have an easel? What kind of paper do you use?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    Great thread, OP - I've been wondering the same thing!

How does everyone else set up their paint 'station'? Do you have an easel? What kind of paper do you use?
    Easel and butchers paper, so cheap and then he can do big ones too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For a second there the idea of letting ds paint outside under the pergola sounded like a wonderful idea.
    Then I thought of the dog

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 3 and she loves painting and craft. We use different brushes in each pot, which did help with the colour smooshing, although I did find that she still tended to mix all the colours together into that unsightly brown.
    However, in the last couple of months I have noticed that she has started to actually use form and colour in her painting, is suddenly very particular with which colour goes where and no longer mixes them all together. So I kinda figure that mixing all the colours together and creating works of vomit brown scribble art is a bit of a phase for kids and part of the learning process.

On a total tangent, have you tried potato stamping? You can actually buy "potato stamp" type stamps these days at craft shops, DD found stamping quite entertaining!

Thanks
    Reviews

The best thing that I have done is to squeeze the paint onto kitchen sponges. It makes it far less messy to clean up because you just need to chuck the sponges and rinse off the excess on the plate/pallette. I agree that mixing the colours is half the fun and I don't like to cramp my toddlers style with art. I offer lots of different tools like cookie cutters, fly swats, toy cars, brushes, sponges, stamps etc and let them go to town :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahaha, DS LOVES to mix paint. He uses his fingers most of the time, but he still mixes them when he uses a brush. I don't particularly care. If that is the way he likes it, so be it. If it bothers him, he will indicate this to me and I will show him how to prevent mixing the colours.

I too have a little palette that has different compartments so he doesn't pollute the whole jar. It's called a "Lotus palette" made by Micador. Only costs a few dollars at Spotlight.

http://micador.com.au/Product/690/Micador-Lotus-Palette

Thanks
    Reviews

Ds is only 16 months but he loves painting (for about 2 minutes at a time)

At the moment I only give him 2 colors at a time... Colors that mix in. So red & yellow / yellow & blue / blue & red etc. when he gets a bit older I'll start giving more colors at a time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    The best thing that I have done is to squeeze the paint onto kitchen sponges. It makes it far less messy to clean up because you just need to chuck the sponges and rinse off the excess on the plate/pallette. I agree that mixing the colours is half the fun and I don't like to cramp my toddlers style with art. I offer lots of different tools like cookie cutters, fly swats, toy cars, brushes, sponges, stamps etc and let them go to town :-)
    Fly swats and toy cars - awesome ideas!!!!!