+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default If you had a choice between...

I went option 2 but in a public hospital. My ob was incredibly supportive and was also happy for me to go overdue as long as I wanted as long as bubs was ok. The hospy too was happy for me to vbac2 but I needed to dilate all on my own as they wouldn't give me any drugs to help bring in increasing labour.

I was unsuccessful in my vbac2. The middies were awesome and trying so hard to help me progress. I cant fault them at all. The only thing I wished I could have done is labour at home for as long as possible before going in but because I had that v@ginal swab turn positive they said I had to stay as I needed to have antibiotics. The middies and the doc attending said that if I hadn't had the test they would have been happy to send me home to labour.

I think I would have progressed better if I could have labored at home and then when I was ready then go to hospy.

So I guess to answer your question a home birth isn't for me but I would have been more then happy to labour at home in my own space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks for that snippet of the article. It didn't say if her child's death had anything to do with the birth being a vbac - was that in another article? Just interested to know if it was related to that.

The uterine rupture issue, though it's something I'm obviously not gung ho about, doesnt scare me too much as to keep it in perspective the hospital I had DS2 at (now no longer operating as a maternity hospital or I'd be birthing there) was very supportive of both vbac and vba2c and had a lot of them there. In the 11 years of it running they didn't have a single rupture. Which is not to say it can't or doesn't happen, but that the chance is very much in favor of it not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilicious View Post
    Off topic - Clucky, our boys are two days apart (I remember being jealous that you were getting to meet your boy when you did, although not jealous of your c-sec, not knowing that my boy was planning an early arrival!), and we're planning on TTC at the end of the year as well!
    Really? pm me - would love to keep in touch

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm interested in this decision making process too OP. I've been looking in to the whole homebirth v hospital birth for the future when I will hopefully have a successful vbac (not pregnant again yet either!).

I also just wanted to add more context to that recent inquest. Apparently the mother had refused prenatal hospital appointments for 3 or so months and had then swapped care providers (no continuity of care). She was also over 42 weeks and had had a bleed. Just thought I'd add that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Michelle - I'm so glad you got the support. That's the most important thing. I feel I would have gotten that at the hospital nearby that is no longer maternity - that's the frustrating thing. I have heard horror stories galore re the maternity section of the public (some devastating) near me and the other private, the one I'm thinking of, has a record of screaming at women while they're in labour, of unneeded epitomes given without consent or warning and many other stories I won't go into. That's why im so put off the idea of birthing there :/ of course it might change before I birth again, which would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by futuremamma View Post
    I'm interested in this decision making process too OP. I've been looking in to the whole homebirth v hospital birth for the future when I will hopefully have a successful vbac (not pregnant again yet either!).

I also just wanted to add more context to that recent inquest. Apparently the mother had refused prenatal hospital appointments for 3 or so months and had then swapped care providers (no continuity of care). She was also over 42 weeks and had had a bleed. Just thought I'd add that.
    Good luck making your decision are you leaning one way or the other at the moment?

There are actually a few things of note with that article - and inconsistent journalism. I read five articles just now re the inquest and some say she'd had three previous sections, some say two, some say she labored for six hours some say three. And in one the midwife admits that she should have been transferred four hours before she did. It's tragic and I feel so sad for her.

That being said countless people have had organ failure due to antibiotics - I still take them if I get sick, people die in car accidents - I still drive, planes crash - I still fly.

None of that's to say I'm set on home or hospital at this point, it's just to keep it in perspective

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regarding that newspaper article, it's not very accurate and there were a lot more factors at play than a simple vba2c. Both midwives involved are very highly regarded and in my opinion, on the conservative side. Definitely not radical. I just feel I should point that out as your situation is probably a lot different to this one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would birth at home.
    but i think i have a similar feeling of birthing in hospital, that most people do around birthing at home. (that the risk is greater than the benefit) so i think my feelings might be scewed because of that.

Either way i wish you SO much luck. i'm sure i talked to you a bit under my previous username about vbacs and your choices just before you fell pregnant with your second? (maybe? or during your early pregnancy) and i was rooting for you through your whole pregnancy, so i truly hope you get this vba2c when you decide to go for it! <3

Thanks
    Reviews

You're definitely right about the journalism - you can never know the whole story but yes, it's definitely tragic. The poor family. I must admit, I tend to just ignore these kinds of articles though. It doesn't show a true representation of home births and just adds fuel to the fire.

I'm leaning more towards a home birth at the moment. Ideally I would love a birth centre birth. I had an uncomplicated pregnancy with my daughter but an all too common experience of induction ending in a c-section at 41+3. I got to 9cm but bub was in distress (obstructed labour). I was quite traumatised by it all so will definitely have some issues to work through before attempting a vbac!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh and in the few articles I read about that case, apparently she did have a uterine rupture.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Regarding that newspaper article, it's not very accurate and there were a lot more factors at play than a simple vba2c. Both midwives involved are very highly regarded and in my opinion, on the conservative side. Definitely not radical. I just feel I should point that out as your situation is probably a lot different to this one.
    Thanks for that info

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I would birth at home.
    but i think i have a similar feeling of birthing in hospital, that most people do around birthing at home. (that the risk is greater than the benefit) so i think my feelings might be scewed because of that.

Either way i wish you SO much luck. i'm sure i talked to you a bit under my previous username about vbacs and your choices just before you fell pregnant with your second? (maybe? or during your early pregnancy) and i was rooting for you through your whole pregnancy, so i truly hope you get this vba2c when you decide to go for it! <3
    Thank you *hugs* I'm very grateful as it is that the advice I got from this forum helped to make my last csection sooooooooo much better than the first wonderful people on here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CluckySC For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (19-08-2012)