+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default If you had a choice between...

I would choose option 2. Mainly because of the articles I read in last weeks paper, about a woman in a similar situation wanting to home birth after 2 CSs. She thought the doctors were exaggerating the risks, and thought she knew better.

The midwife there called another midwife, who came over and they eventually took her to hospital but the baby died a few days later.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the only good outcome from this baby dying is if others learn from it.

You asked for opinions please don't roast me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: If you had a choice between...

I would say No: 2. for me personally I wouldn't want to experience a home birth again! Mine was unplanned. Even thou it all went well after it all happen I had the "what if this or that happen" there no medical help near! With you having previous c sections if it was me I would be going hospital! As it may turn into another c section or worse an emergency one, if your at home and it happens you both would be at risk of death.

just my thoughts

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub
    Last edited by MyLittlePrincess; 18-08-2012 at 16:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I would choose option 2. Mainly because of the articles I read in last weeks paper, about a woman in a similar situation wanting to home birth after 2 CSs. She thought the doctors were exaggerating the risks, and thought she knew better.

The midwife there called another midwife, who came over and they eventually took her to hospital but the baby died a few days later.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the only good outcome from this baby dying is if others learn from it.

You asked for opinions please don't roast me.
    Of course I wouldn't roast you like I said I'm undecided at the moment so appreciate all info. Could you tell me the paper it was in? Would be interested to read the context in which it happened.

I know that babies can die at home or in hospital (I know two women personally who have lost their babies in hospital birth stuff ups ) but am weighing up comparative risks at the moment (ie statistically risk of third csec to mother and baby is about the same as risks associated with vba2c) so all thoughts are appreciated.

(I'll add though that *if* I chose the first option I would transfer at the first hint of anything amiss, even a gut feeling. With DS1 I knew when he went into distress and it took DH fifteen minutes to get a midwife to come and check on me when I was in hospital. It was another 30-40 min before I got to the operating theatre. If I *was* at home I would have a midwife by my side and would act immediately if needed. I do know that there's not always warning, hence my worries about this version, but just saying)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it was reporting on an inquest. It was in the Herald Sun the week before last. Several articles over several days. The mid wife was accused of hindering them at the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews

http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/home...808-23t56.html

Here is a link to one of the articles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'm pro hospital birth. I'm glad my second was born in hospital because I had PPH and lost 2.5 litres of blood straight after DD was born. Could have been very dangerous to birth at home for this reason.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/home...808-23t56.html

Here is a link to one of the articles.
    "Ms Thurgood said she told Dr Neil that she would agree to an elective caesarean if the hospital could emulate a 'mother-baby friendly caesarean' she had read about at a French hospital, which involved immediate skin to skin contact, the cord not being clamped and the placenta remaining attached. She was told this was not possible due to hospital policy, the inquest heard."

So she had a bleed at 42 weeks, agreed to a cs on the basis it be mother-baby friendly which the hospital said was against policy (even thought they are doing them here in WA) so she discharged herself, not against medical advice, to have her baby at home.

Makes me so mad this hospital backed her into a corner now they are blaming her for the whole thing? If the hospital had her and her babies best interests at heart and they honestly felt they were at risk then they should of allowed the maternal assisted cs.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (18-08-2012),Gandalf  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Everyone will give different opinions on your situation based on their own experiences, but for what it's worth. I'd birth at home.

I've had a hospital VBAC and it was bad enough fighting the system for the birth I wanted just for a standard VBAC (not a VBA2C), so there's no way i'd risk going t a hospital where ultimately my chances of a successful birth were lowered.

But i've also gone on to have a successful IM attendend homebirth and a successful freebirth, so these are the options that *I* feel most comfortable with, over a hospital setting.

However, I do second a previous poster who suggested working through your fears/anxieties about birthing at home, even if you don't decide to homebirth, at least you'd have worked through some fears

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    "Ms Thurgood said she told Dr Neil that she would agree to an elective caesarean if the hospital could emulate a 'mother-baby friendly caesarean' she had read about at a French hospital, which involved immediate skin to skin contact, the cord not being clamped and the placenta remaining attached. She was told this was not possible due to hospital policy, the inquest heard."

So she had a bleed at 42 weeks, agreed to a cs on the basis it be mother-baby friendly which the hospital said was against policy (even thought they are doing them here in WA) so she discharged herself, not against medical advice, to have her baby at home.

Makes me so mad this hospital backed her into a corner now they are blaming her for the whole thing? If the hospital had her and her babies best interests at heart and they honestly felt they were at risk then they should of allowed the maternal assisted cs.
    The hospital backed her into a corner? One could also say she backed them into a corner when giving them an ultimatum ... And chose to make a stubborn stand on an ideology that ended up costing her bubba his life.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (18-08-2012),lovesushi  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I would go with the hospital birth, but that's just me. I feel comfortable in a hospital environment and I trust my ob. If I was having a vbac or vba2c I'd probably also have a doula (in fact I'm considering having one next time anyway - my hospital birth was wonderful but I like the idea of a doula).

Off topic - Clucky, our boys are two days apart (I remember being jealous that you were getting to meet your boy when you did, although not jealous of your c-sec, not knowing that my boy was planning an early arrival!), and we're planning on TTC at the end of the year as well!