+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default If you had a choice between...

Aiming for a homebirth VBA2C (so vbac after 2 csections), where your wishes would be respected and supported, you would be given every opportunity to birth in a wonderful loving environment with a great doula and midwife but would also be taking associated risks with attempting said VBA2C at home...

Or

Attempting said VBA2C at a modern private hospital with a great Ob, giving you the security of that environment if anything goes wrong but this hospital has a high intervention rate, youve heard countless birth trauma horror stories from there and you'd be very likely to end up with more surgery, necessary or not, if you went there, which would you choose?

Assuming that you love the idea of homebirth but don't feel safe with the risk, and likewise love the idea of the security of being in hospital (obviously having needed one before) but don't feel safe with the medical bullying that goes on there.

Or would you book in with the hospital and Ob just in case and if everything was going great then decide to birth at home at the last minute?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What about working through those fears with a doula or using a doula for either birth (esp the hospy one if you go that way).

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly I was too scared to attempt a homebirth because of my irrational anxiety. i wish I could have had a homebirth, it would have been amazing. My birth went so well. There were no complications and I believe I could have avoided my 3rd degree tear if I was at home in a birthing pool. I also honestly believe I could have avoided getting PND the second time had I stayed home.

If I had my time over, I would work through my fears and birth at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if realistically you would achieve your home birth if you are really scared. As others have said you'd need to do a bit of work beforehand to feel comfortable with it. You'd also need to find a midwife who you are comfortable with who is happy to do a vba2c, as I know a fair few mw are doing less vbacs at home due to all the witch-hunting going on.

Going private- I guess your chances of a successful vbac depends a lot on the Ob, not just the hospital. You'd need to look at their individual intervention rates, along with the hospital's, and ask lots of questions about their policies on things like going overdue and induction in the case of vbacs, continuous monitoring (as this will make you a lot less mobile in labour) etc.

I recently had twins and desperately wanted to do it drug-free and vaginally. I was not comfortable doing it at home (and prob wouldn't find a midwife happy to anyway), I tried the public system and didn't feel supported in my choices at all, do ended up changing to an Ob who has really low intervention rates and who was happy to work WITH me to achieve the birth I wanted. I also hired an independent midwife to support me in the birth and leading up to, and after it and she was amazing (so was the obstetrician) and I ended up having a great birth. You could try doing it that way?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

ICmumma  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

First csec was due to fetal distress/failure to progress after an induction, but a couple of midwives have told me it was a classic reaction to the gel and a regular occurrence under those circumstances.
    Second time I was all set for a vbac, then found out DS2 was breech with a fundal placenta and short cord wrapped around his neck twice. So csec was needed.

Even my Ob said this last time that there was absolutely no reason my body couldn't or wouldn't birth naturally if it weren't for the circumstances.

I'm very lucky I guess that I do have options. The Doula I used last time and will be using again now works with a private midwife (for very low cost). So she's a part of your care anyway, and would be very happy to support a vba2c homebirth - even if I decided at the last minute that that's what I wanted.

I could take the Doula to hospital if I chose to birth there but not the midwife.

If I did choose to homebirth I would definitely work through fears - that would be good to do regardless of where I birth as it would make everything easier, but if I could clear them completely I don't know.

Just interested to see what others would do if it was them

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CluckySC For This Useful Post:

champagne  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I know the doula and midwife you're talking about (I think!). If it helps I've had an OB tell me they really like working with this midwife, that's she is good at what she does and if she needs to transfer she does that at the right time etc. maybe that helps? I also know there is a bubhub member who had a home birth with this team, you could talk to them?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wherewerewe91 View Post
    Based on your reasons for the c/s..... Damn that sucks I personally would start at home (how far away are you from hosp) and make sure I trust my midwife immensely so if anything (and I'm talking a ripple in the pond) starts to go wrong or you or her start to get a bad feeling you can hippity hop to the hospital. If you decide home birth make sure you at least book into the hospital and your midwife sends them copies of your bloodwork, scans, antenatal appts etc so that if you do show up in the middle of labour on the verge of needed an emerg c/s they'll know who you are etc...
    We'd be half hour from the private hospital in question, but would have a small local hospital about 1km from home too. I think that if I am thinking of trying homebirth route I'll still book in with the great Ob at the hospital and tell them I'm birthing there, that way if anything happened and transfer was required they'd be ready for me and I'd know who the Dr waiting was. Also nice in the small chance that something happens again (like last time) when I needed to schedule a csec. The thing that made it less scary (I dislike being cut open I must say!!) was knowing and trusting my Ob.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CluckySC For This Useful Post:

wherewerewe91  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MamaNurture View Post
    I know the doula and midwife you're talking about (I think!). If it helps I've had an OB tell me they really like working with this midwife, that's she is good at what she does and if she needs to transfer she does that at the right time etc. maybe that helps? I also know there is a bubhub member who had a home birth with this team, you could talk to them?
    You do indeed know this team I haven't met the midwife but that's great feedback on her, thank you. Someone who is cautious like that would make me much more relaxed

I think I'll take the time to ask the midwife a few questions when I'm knocked up (getting ahead of myself! We'll be ttc at the end of the year . It's a beautiful situation because I can have the freedom to birth where I want and to see how the pregnancy pans out too. I mean it would be more beautiful *without* the other csections but still awesome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I chose option 2 for my VBA2C.
    I'll pop back later with details.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    I chose option 2 for my VBA2C.
    I'll pop back later with details.
    Thank you would love to hear your details and thoughts