+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Did you actively "night-toilet train" your child?

DD was day trained before 2. Then a few months later she stopped wetting her nappy over night but I put off night training because I was worried about her peeing on me (bed share)

She was 2 and 9 months when I finally got enoughy courage to not put a nappy on her. She is 3 next week and has not had one accident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son sounds exactly same as you OP, except he is 3 years 3 months now and no longer has a wet nappy after his day sleep. He just outgrew it (was still wetting it occasionally at your DS'S age). I've stopped putting a nappy on him during his sleep and he never has accidents.

As for night time, he just started waking through the night and asking to go to the toilet. So for us at least, I'm just waiting cause I think he will just outgrow it.

Gl!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everybody for your replies! It's been really helpful.

Seems to be an interesting mix of active and passive night training. I think we'll go for passive (waiting til he gets dry himself and praising when he's got a dry nappy etc) for another few months at least.

He certainly seems to be dry more often than not for his day sleep now so hopefully we're on the right track.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Did you actively "night-toilet train" your child?

Haven't read all replied but I didnt actively train him at all. He kept asking and asking because he wanted to be a big boy like daddy and wear undies so I let him try it as he was going to the toilet anyway. The day after wearing undies all day he asked to sleep in them so I figured the worst I had to deal with was wet sheets and then put him into nappies again but he has been dry all the time since with only a few accidents when he was sick. He was in undies 4 mths after his 2nd bday.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Did you actively "night-toilet train" your child?

No. I just waited until she no longer wet her nappies and stopped putting them on her. We had 3 wet beds in the years since then and all of those times have been when she's been sick.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't 'toilet train' at all. never have. I just wait till the summer between 2-3yrs... and then leave them nappyless every time they are at home. When I see them wee I direct them to wee outside.... if they poo I clean it up and say "poo goes in the toilet, you can tell me next time and I'll take you to the toilet"

I do a lot of observing... once I see them actively choose 'where' to wee... rather than rush outside and just make it as they reach the grass.. then I know they can control it....

So I then offer incentives to choose the toilet rather than the garden.

Once they have the days pretty well sorted, I just get rid of night nappies when they wake up dry 3 or 4 days in a row... (we use cloth so easy to tell if wet... and they find it uncomfy too as they're dry during the day then)

Then I just prepare to wash sheets regulary while they sort it out.

We have NEVER EVER EVER gotten cranky at the kids for wetting a bed. They're asleep, they can't help it! It's like getting angry at someone for snoring... they can't control it if they are asleep, it's not malicious! So The kids have never had any problem with bedwetting... Jordan is our heaviest bedwetter... even now at 7 he'll wet the bed more often than Julian does (who's 3).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    Yes, she just didn't wet her nappies at night (well, sometimes she would but mostly they were dry) I didn't do anything.
    Same here. DD and DS1 I just kept putting nappies in them overnight and they eventually woke up dry consistently for a week, so swapped to pants at night and that was that!

That happened by 3yo and they were both day trained between 2-2.5yo.

DS2 has been day trained for 3wks now, but no sign of waking up dry yet, but he's only 2.5yo, so plenty of time

*I can haz typos*

Thanks
    Reviews

The bladder matures at different ages for each of us. It will happen when the child's bladder is mature enough to hold urine at night and for them to wake when they need to go.

My son is almost 5 and still wets the bed... But he has other delays so I suspect this is just another delay on his list.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    I don't 'toilet train' at all. never have..
    I would exactly call what you do toilet training... Going nappy free when you think your child may be ready, watching for cues, encouraging to go on the toilet, etc etc. I'm not sure what else you think "toilet training" in quotation marks involves.... but good to hear a few more votes for night dryness happening naturally!

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    I would exactly call what you do toilet training... Going nappy free when you think your child may be ready, watching for cues, encouraging to go on the toilet, etc etc. I'm not sure what else you think "toilet training" in quotation marks involves.... but good to hear a few more votes for night dryness happening naturally!
    I suppose toilet training to me always invokes ideas of parents going "oh we are going to toilet train now" and then take their child to the loo every 30 mins, make them sit there after meals, take a potty with them, read books about using the toilet and get really frustrated when they are still doing that months later.

I tend to think I more do toilet timing... just watching and waiting their cues, but not really stressing about it or thinking about it much.. just watching them learn how to control it themselves... not really 'teaching' them to control it IYKWIM.