+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I should add she also told me she didn't want to wear night nappies anymore so i figured it was time. She drinks a big glass of water most nights right before bed and never wets her bed.

My nephew was not night trained until 5 though (day trained at 2, i think?) so some kids take longer.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did you actively "night-toilet train" your child?

I never woke my kids or put them on the loo while sleeping.

Both my boys day trained by 2.5yrs and night by 3. We just stopped putting them in nappies overnight when they were dry more than not (indicted their bladders were ready). I think we had a few wet nights/mornings before they fully got the hang of it.

One thing I noticed though is they would often not wee overnight but first thing in the morning as they were waking. So we would get them to go to the loo before bed and as soon as they woke. We never restricted fluids either, they actually have water bottles beside their beds in case they get thirsty. At 5 and 7 we've rarely had accidents. Just make sure the loo is accessible (night light etc) and that they know they can call for help etc.
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 17-08-2012 at 21:44.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i have ver use night npies or nap nappies for my kids. My thinking was that if I put them in a nappy at night they wouldn't learn not to go through the night. I think putting a night nappy on them just teaches them that its ok to go through the night. So when I TT my kiddies its no more nappies full stop. DS was just 2 when he TT'd and he wet the bed twice and since then has not had any accidents. I also gave him his milk earlier in the afternoon so he wouldn't be busting through the night and introduced it again after he was TT'd for a little while. DD is about a week into toilet training and so far has had 3 consecutive nights of no wetting the bed. She goes to the toilet just before bed and has actually been waking up needing to go later in the night so I put her on the toilet then before I go to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't actively night train my kids and never will. My older two are nearly 5 and nearly 7 and still wear pull ups to bed however my oldest is dry the majority of the time now and my 4 year old is dry sometimes.
    I am a big believer in that it happens when they are ready. We brought a brolly sheet for my oldest...pain in the butt. She gets her sheets tangled up with it and everything ejds up wet anyway so I put her back in pullups. For her, she simply doesn't wake. Even if she wets the bed she doesn't wake. She's not doing it out of laziness, her body hasn't been ready and that can't be helped. I had to wake her up enough to give her ventolin one night...it was like dealing with a devil zombie and took me nearly an hour to get her to calm down enouh to give her the ventolin. I won't be trying a dream wee!! I don't restrict fluids but do encourage her to drink a lot through the day so she needs less at night but dehydrating your child.is not having a night trained child.
    I think taking nappies away etc. can work, if the child is ready. If they're not ready they are just going to wet the bed every night. I was day and night trained at 2 1/2 and my mum did nothing to night train me. I never, ever, ever wet the bed. My BIL was 7 before he stopped wetting the bed and lools like 2 out of 3 of mine are going to he the same (jury is still out on no. 3 as he isn't toilet trained). We are going to take pull ups away from my oldest once the weather warms up again cause she is almost always dry but she is embarrassed that she still wears pull ups. She wants to be night trained, it has nothing to do with her being lazy or anything like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

We just took away day and night nappies at the same time. Ds3 got was dry at night before he was in the day. I found they just didn't wet the bed ever, even at 23 months because they hated the idea of a wet bed. Ds1 was different, he has a structural problem with his hips

Thanks
    Reviews

At 2 years old dd was waking with a dry nappy and she refused to put one on when getting into her pjs at night. We explained I her that if she didn't want to wear a nappy to bed then she had to make sure she did all her wees in the toilet. She goes to the toilet before bed and only allowed a few sips of water directly before going to sleep (rather than a whole glass). She has had two accidents in 2 months and those were when she woke up, sitting in bed calling out for me to come get her. I bought a great waterproof bed liner and that makes such a difference to the washing! The sample at the bed shop literally had a glass worth of water inside it to show that nothing leaks through iykwim? It's not thick or crinkly either. I can find the warranty sheet and post the brand if anyone is interested. I've found with those two accidents I only ever had to wash the bottom sheet and liner. Thank god I don't have to put the mattress out in the sun like mum had to with me!!

Thanks
    Reviews

No night training here. DS was wet at night for nearly 2 years after he day trained. Then all of a sudden he was dry. Took the nappy off after a few dry nights and we've never had a wet bed.

DD is day trained but still wet at night.

IMO it will happen when they're ready.

Thanks
    Reviews

I found the warmer months were better. The kids were less reluctant to get out of bed and use the loo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    I've heard of various things like waking kids to take them to the loo when parents go to bed (kinda like a dream feed) to see them through til morning... seems a bit mean and goes against my "never wake a sleeping child" mantra! Star charts seem pointless because it's not really a conscious effort on his part is it?
    We did this, get them up and take them to the toilet or potty before we went to bed. They don't wake up, tend to lean against you 1/2 asleep while I would gently to talk to them and tell them to do a wee. It is surprising how they don't actually wake up!

If after doing this they are then waking up dry we moved to no nappy (with a waterproof protector on the bed). I found that waking up dry gave them confidence, they would usually have a full bladder and I'd take them to the toilet as soon as they were up. Lots of praise and encouragement for being dry over night really helped.

I agree about the star chart - not really something they can consciously control. With DD3 we sat the potty bedside her bed so she didn't have far to go if she did need to go in the night.

All kids are different - DD2 was night trained at 2 yrs 6 weeks and DD3 was 3 1/2 before she was consistently dry at night.

My 3 year old nephew was waking up with very full nappy when my sister decided to try night training him - he actually got it within less than a week, and she thinks that because he had the nappy on he was using it, almost as soon as she took it away he started getting up dry!

Thanks
    Reviews

My ds was alot younger than yours (20 months) but I stopped putting a nappy on him when he was waking up dry every morning ... He regressed for a month just after he turned two and he just decided one day that he didn't want to wear one anymore ...