+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Did you actively "night-toilet train" your child?

My DS is 2 yrs 10 months and is toilet trained during the day for a few months now. Still the odd wee accident here and then when distracted but majority of time fine. I have just been leaving nappies on him overnight because I was under the impression this part of TT tends to just "happen" at some point. He's dry during his day sleep about 50% of the time, but only probably 5% of the time overnight.

Am I supposed to do something more pro-active in regards to night training him?? What does it say in the manual?? Haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, i used stop putting nappies on her as she was waking with dry nappies. She had just turned 3 and she is 4 now - she has wet the bed once only.
    I don't know what the 'manual' suggests but that is what i did.

Thanks
    Reviews

My sister makes her kids go to the toilet right before they go to sleep, she noticed that helped heaps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    well my dd1 was fully toilet trained by about 2.5 (meaning no accidents) and i thought that i would wait until her nappy was dry but it was always saturated when she got up and i thought i would just try not putting a nappy on her at night well she started waking up and going to the toilet. she has accidents now and then but has done really well. i reckon give it a shot getting rid of the nappies and if it doesn't work just go back to using nappies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry MM - do you mean she naturally started having dry nappies of her own accord?

And thanks Wise Enough - yeah he goes last thing before bed but he also drinks a fair bit of water before bed (storytime is the only time he sits still the whole day and he usually realises he's very thirsty, not sure how to get around that... he won't drink at other times.....).

I've heard of various things like waking kids to take them to the loo when parents go to bed (kinda like a dream feed) to see them through til morning... seems a bit mean and goes against my "never wake a sleeping child" mantra! Star charts seem pointless because it's not really a conscious effort on his part is it?

Thanks
    Reviews

My son is the same age as yours. He has been toilet trained during the day since his 2nd birthday but still wakes up with a soaking night nappy. His day nap nappy is often wet too. He is in a cot and I don't necessarily want to encourage him waking up from his day nap or during the night to have a wee/wet bed.

I did the same with my DD and around 3 she decided she didn't want a nappy on during naps or at night. We put her on the toilet before bed and until she was 4 never had an issue. We moved home from o/s just after she was 4 and she has wet the bed about once a week since (go figure) - thankfully she has a Brolly sheet so her occasional wet night is no issue - except the other night when she was having a sleepover in my bed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutu & Lulu View Post
    well my dd1 was fully toilet trained by about 2.5 (meaning no accidents) and i thought that i would wait until her nappy was dry but it was always saturated when she got up and i thought i would just try not putting a nappy on her at night well she started waking up and going to the toilet. she has accidents now and then but has done really well. i reckon give it a shot getting rid of the nappies and if it doesn't work just go back to using nappies
    Hmm sounds like my kinda tactic. But being due in a month with our second I am reluctant to deal with all the wet sheets and night time toilet trips (he's not 100% independent on the toilet with getting pants on again etc so we'd have to help).

Maybe I'll give him another 6 months... he'll be 3.5 then, is that reasonable? By then the new bub will hopefully be waking a lot less at night and it'll seem less daunting to tackle then. Then we might try cold turkey like you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes, she just didn't wet her nappies at night (well, sometimes she would but mostly they were dry) I didn't do anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Hmm sounds like my kinda tactic. But being due in a month with our second I am reluctant to deal with all the wet sheets and night time toilet trips (he's not 100% independent on the toilet with getting pants on again etc so we'd have to help).

Maybe I'll give him another 6 months... he'll be 3.5 then, is that reasonable? By then the new bub will hopefully be waking a lot less at night and it'll seem less daunting to tackle then. Then we might try cold turkey like you.
    Yeah i reckon there is no rush i tried it with her and if she was just constantly wetting then i would have just stopped i figure they get it eventually there is no point pushing it just to suit us know what i mean.

and with the water thing you mentioned above i don't limit drink at all and she usually has a big drink after brush her teeth right before bed but it doesn't make any difference. the only time i know she will wet is if she drink a few cups of soda water on a special occasion (that is her soft drink) i think its just the bubbles that makes her wet the bed sometimes but not always

Thanks
    Reviews

[I've heard of various things like waking kids to take them to the loo when parents go to bed (kinda like a dream feed) to see them through til morning... seems a bit mean and goes against my "never wake a sleeping child" mantra! Star charts seem pointless because it's not really a conscious effort on his part is it? [/QUOTE]

On that note - this is what we do with my DD now (at 5), otherwise she is more likely to wet. We dont actually wake her up - just pick her up and put her on toilet and carry her back to bed. She is normally barely conscious. We aren't sure if it helps her 'train' or not - there are differing views as to whether the child becomes accustomed to the midnight wee or is still just too young to recognize the need to go whilst in a state of subconsciousness. At the moment it prevents a wet bed.