+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is Background Music @ Night when Putting Newborn to Sleep Unwise?

Hi,

I read at various places about not having television in the background at night as this may be over-stimulating for newborns and can affect their sleep. What do you think about playing soft baby/classical/instrumental music in the background when putting newborns to sleep then? Would that be unwise?

Thanks for your sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Soft music would be fine and could become an effective sleep cue.

But white noise (played as loud as a shower) is actually meant to be extremely soothing for babies, perhaps look into this?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The womb is quite noisy (muffled sounds from outside along with the sounds of the mother's blood & digestive system), so I actually think it makes sense to have some sort of noise playing while little babies are sleeping, as it is what they are used to.

As babies, both of my children were comforted by soft music that I played during pregnancy, probably because it was familiar to them. I also had success with soft white noise.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD (22 months) still falls asleep with white noise on. When she was little we tried all kinds of things and suddenly struck gold when we put on white noise (waves crashing / whale noises?!) and she started doing amazing sleeps. Worth trying. Lots of things until you find what works for your little one. Good luck xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bub4rosie For This Useful Post:

Stumbleine  (19-08-2012)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people would say that they get used to the music then depend on it and when they aren't home cannot sleep. But since the trusty invention of ipods and phones. You can have the music whereever they are my kids have thoer music overseas, camping, at grandmas house. Easy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think soft baby/classical/instrumental music sometimes is fine- as long as its not the time, as the bub could depend on it

Thanks
    Reviews

I used soft classical and white noise for helping DD sleep for a few weeks at first.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    Some people would say that they get used to the music then depend on it and when they aren't home cannot sleep. But since the trusty invention of ipods and phones. You can have the music whereever they are my kids have thoer music overseas, camping, at grandmas house. Easy
    I guess it's possible. DD didn't need it after a couple of weeks though, I forgot to put it on one night, she went to sleep anyway and then after that I didn't bother any more.

Thanks
    Reviews

Who cares if they get dependent on it for sleep? It's gotta be one of the easiest sleep cues ever, it doesn't require you to get up 10 times a night to feed or replace a dummy. You can leave it going all night long if need be and for years. You can take it with you on holiday and it can be used when you're not there.

But if for some reason you were bothered by your child being dependent on music/white noise for sleep it's apparently easy to wean, just turn the volume a little lower each night.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (19-08-2012),BabushkaMumma  (19-08-2012),Stumbleine  (19-08-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We recently decided to stop the music at night with DS2 and just took it away one night, expecting him to wake up heaps, however we have had no issues since. He is 15 months old now so I guess he doesn't need it anymore and he clearly wasn't dependent upon it because he still sleeps quite well without