+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trying to stop bf

Hi guys. I actually have2 questions. 1 I have a bad cold and flu. So the chemist guy said I could take sudafed whilst im breastfeeding. Is this the only safe thing?

2. I also want to stop bfing. But my son is not so keen. I read sudafed will dry up the milk. So my question is if the milk dries up will he let go of the boobie? I dint think .hr still bf for the milk. I think he does it out of comfort. Not ti mention at 14 months he still wakes up several times in the night.

Hoping he will learn to sleep through if he isn't bf.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I understand your frustration. My 14 month old feeds frequently day and night, its a very relentless demand on my body 24/7 basically. Im quite tired and cant stop losing weight either.
    I guess the thing is though, or at least what I keep thinking, is that 14 month olds probably do still need some added nutrition, be it breastmilk or formula. its pretty unusual for a baby/toddler this age to have no milk drink and I know the WHO recommend breastfeeding until age 2. I gave up breastfeeding my son and he still continued with formula until almost 2 because there was no way he was eating well enough to not need some added nutrition. So although I am finding myself quite "over" breastfeeding, I keep thinking that if I go out my way to wean her (which would be EXTREMELY difficult given her love for booby) I may end up just worrying that she doesnt eat enough etc. Ill probably end up trying to get her back on, or giving her bottles and getting stuck making those at night.
    However, I still totally get where you are coming from and the advantage of bottle feeding or weaning is you stop being on call for them all the time. The ABA can actually advise you on weaning if you are interested. their website also has some tips on it.
    As for things that dry up your milk, I dont know about sudafed, if its safe during breastfeeding then I think its pretty unlikely it will dry up your milk. However, im kind of surprised that is safe but I guess your chemist would know. There is also a website called kellymom which explains what medications are safe during breastfeeding.
    The best way to dry up your milk is to slowly drop one feed at a time. I think that would be easiest on your breasts (avoid engorgement and pain) and easiest on your baby, rather than completely cutting them off suddenly because you have taken something to dry up your milk. If you have any regrets or find your baby takes extremely badly to weaning, you may wish you hadnt dried your milk up.
    Hope some of this kind of helps. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,
    I took panamax when I was pregnant for cold and flu and nothing else. I have asked a few doctors and chemists and they all think that thats the safest thing to take when pregnant.
    I stopped breastfeeding DS at 12 months. Then he went straight to cows milk. Never had any formula (hates it) and he doesnt drink from bottle either. At first he hated cows milk, but after 6 months of persistence now he loves cereal with milk. We gave him heaps of yogurt and cheese to keep up his calcium intake and according to the doctors and clinic nurses, thats absolutely fine.
    TO stop breastfeeding, I cut down the feeds one at a time. I was feeding 6 times a day at 10 months. I started cutting down the 2am ones first. When he woke up I got DH to comfort him, he would cry for 5 min and go back to sleep. But I made sure he doesnt see me, if he does he'll cry for a LONG time. He stopped waking up at 2am after 3 days. Then I cut down the 5/6am feed, same method, after 3 days he stopped waking up too at that time, he would sleep till about 7am in the morning. Sometimes though he would still wake up, but not for feed, just for a little whinge, or a cuddle. Then I cut down the mid day ones. Just replace it with solids, I did try to put some milk in the solids. Then I cut down the breakfast feed. And finally I stopped the bedtime feed. With the bedtime feed, what I did was feed him shorter time at first, when I saw signs of him falling asleep on the boob I would pull away BEFORE hes asleep. I did that for about 2 weeks. He cried a little but got over it in a few days. I also made sure I hide my boobs away from him as best as I could.
    In terms of your milk, as you cut down your feeds it will automatically stop producing milk. No pain either if you do it slowly. After I stopped BF completely I could still squeeze milk out for a month or so, but they dont feel full or painful, not hard or tender to touch, pretty much feel normal

Good luck~!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second (or should that be third) dropping the feeds one by one. And waiting for her to request a feed rather than offering. Dunno about the sudafed sorry (but I feel your pain - got evil bad sinus pain, yuck)
    With the waking up at night, is he waking for a feed, or for some other reason. My DD weaned at 14 months, but she hadnt been feeding overnight since about 8 months maybe, from there it was about 4 feeds a day then 3, and so on as the solids intake increased. A lot of people say give them a bottle of water at night to stop an older baby waking overnight for feeding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Trying to stop bf

Yes, sudafed, if it is pseudoephidrine, will dry up your milk supply.
    After 13 months, my ds1 only had 2 cow milk drinks. I had weaned bf and formula by then. He was quite happy with it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Trying to stop bf

Thanks guys. U an trying ti give ds cows milk. He does take it but he's not muchbof a drinker. I can't get him to drink 50 ml of water or milk. So I end up bf so that at least he gets something. He's not much of a eater either. But hw does have a healthy weight. Not sure why he doesn't want to eat.

I think night feed is more about comfort for him then actual hunger. We co sleep so it's hard because being 14 months he just starts to try and get it himself.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Trying to stop bf

Don't worry too much if he doesn't drink milk. I stopped bfing when DS1 was 13 months and he wasn't interested in milk either. I just made sure so he had 600mls/day via milk on cereal, yogurt and cheese.

Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat21 For This Useful Post:

moongazer  (19-08-2012)